Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ads-b

Default Re: Ads-b

Re John's GDL-39R here is a quote from the Garmin site.

"Note: The GDL 39 is a non-certified receive-only product. It does not provide ADS-B “Out” capability to satisfy FAA mandate requirements."

If you have an ES certified transponder coupled to a WAAS certified GPS then you are 2020 compliant without anything else. Problem is the G3X's GPS is not certified. That's why you need the GDL-88 or some other WAAS certified GPS.

Anyhow - that's how I understand it.
    Comments?
    Bill
    Last edited by seastar; 06-08-2014 at 06:37 AM.

With a G3X and the GTX-23, Garmin has a special price of $3995 for the GPS-400w which will give you compliant "out". GDL-39 is "in" only but a great way to get traffic and weather for the G3X. The GDL-88 at $4500 (approx) with compliant GPS, and still needs a transponder like the 23 or 33. It becomes very similar in price either way for compliant ADS-B. The GPS-400w gives you the additional option of IFR, but requires panel space. It really depends on your needs....my opinion only.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here is a pretty good thread for someone who wants to upgrade to ADS-B.

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum...ad.php?t=59070

Bill

This seems a pretty good way to get compliant for under $4K

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/A...SB-prices.aspx

also includes wifi to hook up your ipad.

Robert

The FreeFlight unit's price looks appealing but the 20-30 hours install time would keep me from making that decision right now. I'm hold out until the "perfect for me" system comes along. I want as close to plug and play(pray) as possible.
    Alex Bell

The devil is in the detail for all the current ads-b options. Examples...the GDL-88 is not supported by Garmin in the install manual for the G3X, so if it will even work with the G3X you would need to determine pin-outs and settings. While FreeFlight looks appealing on price, it is UAT only so you wouldn't get air to air for 1090, and you still need a transponder and certified GPS position source. Then there is the question of what display devices the FreeFlight will work with beyond the original Capstone MX-20, unless an iPad is sufficient for your purpose of getting "in" capabilities. Do your homework carefully before you spend the dollars to make sure it fits your needs long term.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk