Thread: Carbon Fiber belly tank for Sport/Carbon Cub

Default Carbon Fiber belly tank for Sport/Carbon Cub

Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank:

I had one of these installed when I picked up my plane in Yakima last week. I really liked the idea, developed trust in the builder, and was willing to try the first one. There are many of these out there for other aircraft, and in fact, several of these “Lewaero” tanks on PA-18s. I don’t work for Eric Lewis, the individual making or selling these; here is my review and what I would do differently. Some numbers: and answers to the many phone calls I have recently received.

The tank:

• Weighs ca. 15 lbs plus 3-4 more for pump, warning light, hoses.
    • Holds about 35 gal of fuel if you fill it and dependent on the size of tires (the angle your airplane sits on the tarmac).
    • Is baffled.
    • Doesn’t seem to slow the ac down
    • No noticeable change in CG…weight sits beneath CG.
    • Looks great in black carbon fiber but could be painted
    • Doesn’t require cutting fabric, you use the main gear attachment bolts and the float fittings – see photos. You add an inspection Plate to the metal V panel on the belly. Very clean.
    • Fills from the left tank feed which is tapped into at the fuel valve under left kick-panel.
    • Operates by 1. flying on Left tank, 2. switching to right tank after emptying left tank and refilling left tank from belly tank …. Repeat as necessary. My plane operated fine on “both” with the pump on. I wouldn’t want to do that when the tank empties…that is why I wish I had a fuel gage … see below.
    • Empties…. Almost no unusable fuel.
    • Can be removed in ca. 20 minutes max… probably 30 max to re-attach.
    • Should retrofit to any/all Carbon or Sport Cubs which are E-LSA, or EAB designated. (Sport cubs?..Pete, are the fuselage the same shape on both?)
    • Looks to me to be a very professional, clean, and functional piece of equipment

What I would do different:

• Get the sending unit for the tank level so that I could know how much fuel was left on board (Eric tried to talk me into it…I should have listened)
    • Test the in-line check valve… mine leaks back into the belly tank just a little, but I will need to leave the airplane on “right” tank if I’m not using the belly.

Eric’s contact information is below.

Eric Lewis
    Lewaero Works
    23055 airport rd n.e.
    Unit 20
    Aurora ore 97002
    503-396-7352

See photos below:

IMG_5603.jpgIMG_5609.jpgIMG_5598.jpgIMG_5633.jpg
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Default Re: Carbon Fiber belly tank for Sport/Carbon Cub

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    Carbon Fiber Fuel Tank:

I had one of these installed when I picked up my plane in Yakima last week. I really liked the idea, developed trust in the builder, and was willing to try the first one. There are many of these out there for other aircraft, and in fact, several of these “Lewaero” tanks on PA-18s. I don’t work for Eric Lewis, the individual making or selling these; here is my review and what I would do differently. Some numbers: and answers to the many phone calls I have recently received.

The tank:

• Weighs ca. 15 lbs plus 3-4 more for pump, warning light, hoses.
    • Holds about 35 gal of fuel if you fill it and dependent on the size of tires (the angle your airplane sits on the tarmac).
    • Is baffled.
    • Doesn’t seem to slow the ac down
    • No noticeable change in CG…weight sits beneath CG.
    • Looks great in black carbon fiber but could be painted
    • Doesn’t require cutting fabric, you use the main gear attachment bolts and the float fittings – see photos. You add an inspection Plate to the metal V panel on the belly. Very clean.
    • Fills from the left tank feed which is tapped into at the fuel valve under left kick-panel.
    • Operates by 1. flying on Left tank, 2. switching to right tank after emptying left tank and refilling left tank from belly tank …. Repeat as necessary. My plane operated fine on “both” with the pump on. I wouldn’t want to do that when the tank empties…that is why I wish I had a fuel gage … see below.
    • Empties…. Almost no unusable fuel.
    • Can be removed in ca. 20 minutes max… probably 30 max to re-attach.
    • Should retrofit to any/all Carbon or Sport Cubs which are E-LSA, or EAB designated. (Sport cubs?..Pete, are the fuselage the same shape on both?)
    • Looks to me to be a very professional, clean, and functional piece of equipment

What I would do different:

• Get the sending unit for the tank level so that I could know how much fuel was left on board (Eric tried to talk me into it…I should have listened)
    • Test the in-line check valve… mine leaks back into the belly tank just a little, but I will need to leave the airplane on “right” tank if I’m not using the belly.

Eric’s contact information is below.

Eric Lewis
    Lewaero Works
    23055 airport rd n.e.
    Unit 20
    Aurora ore 97002
    503-396-7352

See photos below:
    Ralph, that looks great. I guess if you really want to be sure about stopping the fuel backflow you could plumb into the fuel line at the port wing root by inserting a T into the upper fuel gauge pipe. Paul.

Ralph, yes, all of the CC11s (Sport Cub and Carbon Cub) have the same belly shape and float fittings.

Paul, I have seen an E-AB customer who made a temporary removable tank that sat in his baggage area that was plumbed in that way, T fitting into the top sight gauge port on the left tank. Seemed to work well and might be how I would install it myself.

Another option, if one planned ahead an extra bung for a 3/8 line could be welded to the top of the left tank near the sight gauge fitting similar to how other belly tanks from Airglass are plumbed in.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

What does it cost?

Just under $4K, another $250 if you want the fuel probe. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.