Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catto Prop

Default Catto Prop

I have the 54 pitch Catto prop on my Caron Cub SS ( Love it) and the leading edge clear tape is peeling off at the outer edges at 130 hrs. Is thie a big deal to replce or does a pprop shop have to do it.? I see its FAA marked so wanted to know if anyone knows what to do re this. Best Gary

Default Re: Catto Prop

Gary, please call Becky and have her get that resolved -- I don't know whether that is field replacable or not. When operating on the water, as you are now, we want that leading edge tape on there to protect from water spray damage.
    Randy Lervold

From the certification world, that FAA/PMA tape is stamped that way for other installations as Catto buys it, it is not FAA/PMA approved in this installation as the design is approved under the ASTM/Light Sport rules...

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    I have the 54 pitch Catto prop on my Caron Cub SS ( Love it) and the leading edge clear tape is peeling off at the outer edges at 130 hrs. Is thie a big deal to replce or does a pprop shop have to do it.? I see its FAA marked so wanted to know if anyone knows what to do re this. Best Gary
    Hi Gary,
    I spoke with the manufacturer about this. They said there are a couple of options for repair. (Could you post a picture of the tape?) First of all, they are constantly improving the product and have made some changes to the tape installation. They now round the edges rather than having a straight cut. Also, they are gluing the outer edge down using essentially super glue. I don't know how your tape is trimmed, but they said you are welcome to trim it and then use super glue. Of course if this is widespread, there are ways to replace the whole chafe tape - we'll connect you with the manu if that is the case.
    There will be a new feature coming out about the end of May. Catto will be adding nickel leading edges to all of the new props, and will retrofit any existing prop at no charge (other than return shipping). I hope this helps...

IMG_6769.jpg
    Becky Teerink

Thanks Becky i will get a picture but the picture you posted is exactly what HAppene to my tape ie it began to seParate like the pcture then about a 1 inch end piece separated off the prop. With my sea plane application now sounds like the nickel leading edge will be a better solution to protecting the leading edge. Regards Gary

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Thanks Becky i will get a picture but the picture you posted is exactly what HAppene to my tape ie it began to seParate like the pcture then about a 1 inch end piece separated off the prop. With my sea plane application now sounds like the nickel leading edge will be a better solution to protecting the leading edge. Regards Gary
    P.s. The picture I posted shows what Catto is now doing on their production line (that is a new prop). It does sound like the nickel is what you need, we'll get you set up when the time comes!
    Becky Teerink

Hi Becky!
    What are the chances of getting the nickle leading edge on #125?

Thanks!

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hi Becky!
    What are the chances of getting the nickle leading edge on #125?

Thanks!

Pete
    Hi Pete!
    Looks like your plane will be done before the props are changed. Good news is, we can retrofit!
    Becky Teerink

Thanks Becky, I thought 125 might be finished a little to soon. If things change and you happen to get one let me know!

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Teerink View Post
    Hi Pete!
    Looks like your plane will be done before the props are changed. Good news is, we can retrofit!

It is interesting that you mentioned that Catto was using a "Super Glue" to attch the tape. To the best of my understanding, super glue is hydrophillic - it disolves in water - hence it will peel off in seaplane applications. Just a thought.