Thread: Too much Fun

Default Too much Fun

Just returned from picking up #313 …. Way too much fun. I have made several trips out to YKM to pick up airplanes and have been lucky to have some of them be mine. This one seems the best so far. If I’m going to experience that childish restlessness I get when taking delivery on one of these beautiful things…I want to make it last. We installed a light-weight carbon fiber fuel belly tank and I could have flown home non-stop… but that is no fun. Some recommendations.

Enjoy the adventure… try to spend a couple of days there breaking in your engine and burning off your 10 hour interval for an oil change. Fly (San Juan Islands, Fly Lake Chelan to Stehekin and ride a bicycle to the world’s greatest bakery in town, John Day River?, Canyons North of Yakima, or just ask Brenda or Jon where that photogenic place they use for all the photo ops is and go there.) As an ex dealer, I have had three of these Carbon Cub iterations…they all feel slightly different. Get to know your plane, try to find any minor squawks, get the oil changed and then head home the long scenic route. Spending time at the motherland (CubCrafters) is always enjoyable, the folks and products are fantastic. Thanks CubCrafters!

Some quick photos from the way home:

Mission range.jpgIMG_2538.jpgIMG_5632.jpg134R on MIssouri.jpg
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Default Re: Too much Fun

Beautiful airplane, Ralph!!! (Is that, dare I say, YELLOW?) I stopped in St. Maries and St. Ignatiaus - both are just great fuel stops!! Safe flying and enjoy!! Hope to see you sometime soon.

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    We installed a light-weight carbon fiber fuel belly tank and I could have flown home non-stop…
    Ralph, what's your impression of the belly tank?
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Ralph, what's your impression of the belly tank?
    It did everything it was designed to do. It is very light weight (ca 15 lbs + 2 or 3 more for pump and plumbing), fits like a glove, and looks great. Removable in ca. 20 minutes if you wish. Glad I did it and wish I had it on earlier CC cubs. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Does anybody make a cargo belly pod that is carbon and mounts the same way?

Not that I know of. R
    Ralph Rogers
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR

Ralph, beautiful new Carbon Cub! When will you be bring it to AZ?
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    It did everything it was designed to do...
    How much more fuel does it provide? Is it the way to 40 gal of fuel? I'm just learning these airplanes.