Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Panel for Skyview Touch

Default Re: Carbon Fiber Panel for Skyview Touch

Looks great Bob. How much new wiring was involved?

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    Looks great Bob. How much new wiring was involved?
    Wiring is minimal compared to other systems because Dynon uses a bus network for many components. Actually the most wiring involves the EMS module (engine management system). Lots of connections to the engine on the other side of the firewall.

Dynon documentation is absolutely first class. If you consume the install manual, use the Dynon Forum and WIKI your install will go fine.

I was able to remove original avionics and install a full Dynon Skview Touch system without one call to tech support. Dynon really did a good job.

Everything worked on start up except the RPM indication. Lightspeed modules require software configuration not covered in the install manual but I found the answer on the Dynon Skyview Forums.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Screen shot of one test flight. Note traffic depicted which I am guessing is TIS since ADS-B was in "Partial" versus "Full" mode.

The other surprise is the low CHT's and even EGT's. Image shot running around 40% power. Theses CHT's are a good 40F lower than my 2010 CC with the 2013 cowl. Must be that the perforated nozzle really does work in the carburetor.

I'm really leaning Dynon. Which AP do you have? Do you run that AP though the PFD? Did you look at using VP-X? Seems like a nice system, and an easier way to test ignition.
    Carbon Cub EX CCK-1865-0092

Quote Originally Posted by GreggG View Post
    I'm really leaning Dynon. Which AP do you have? Do you run that AP though the PFD? Did you look at using VP-X? Seems like a nice system, and an easier way to test ignition.
    Autopilot comes standard in Skyview Touch. All you have to do is buy the autopilot servos (pitch/roll) for $1,500 to have an autopilot with Skyview. I made the choice to operate the transponder and autopilot via the touch screen on Skyview Touch. Don't really see any need in a Carbon Cub to have autopilot controls outside of the touchscreen since we are not flying IFR.

I considered VP-X. The control box is pretty big. I did not see a good place to place it. Getting all of the boxes in back of the panel is a real challenge.

I like the nice clean look of the Skyview Touch panel and Dynon COM head as the only controls on the panel.

There is a discussion right now about how to place the autopilot servos in the Carbon Cub. So for now I prewired for the servos but will be talking to the Dynon engineers about the servos before putting them in my airplane.

Panel complete with labels. Finished all of the calibrations. Still need to install autopilot servos. AOA is a great feature on the Skyview Touch system.

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Panel complete with labels. Finished all of the calibrations. Still need to install autopilot servos. AOA is a great feature on the Skyview Touch system.
    Really nice Bob.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Dynon Skyview just issued version 11.0 release. Many new features, here.

Applied the new version to my new Carbon Cub Skyview Touch install. Everything worked fine on first flight.

Here is a screen shot taken directly from Skyview during the checkout flight.

Last edited by turbopilot; 08-12-2014 at 08:57 PM.

Very nice! Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go with the new G3X touch panel like the factory is offering?

Post Re: Carbon Fiber Panel for Skyview Touch

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Very nice! Just out of curiosity, why didn't you go with the new G3X touch panel like the factory is offering?
    It was a tough decision. Cubcrafters did give me the opportunity to order one of the first G3X installations when I ordered CC316. I have had a lot of experience with the Garmin G1000 family of avionics. The G3X uses much of the same software found in the G1000's such as Cirrus Garmin Perspective systems. So I knew what to expect in terms of functionality of the new G3X system.

In the end I decided that the Dynon Skyview Touch was the best choice for a simple single panel system for the Carbon Cub. Dynon leads in market share in the LSA/Experimental market segment for glass panels. They know the wants and needs of this market segment better than Garmin, in my opinion.

For me, the clean integration of ADS-B Out, autopilot and transponder functionality all done through the single touch panel made sense to me. Dynon is ahead of Garmin in a simple pre 2020 ADS-B implementation. Pending release of the Dynon certified GPS, they are running a very simple ADS-B out system using a non certified GPS giving the Carbon Cub almost all ADS-B out functionality. Dynon has signaled that they will have a certified GPS very soon, which will be plug and play with current system. If not there are third party certified GPS solutions that only need one serial line to the transponder but will not be needed until 2020.

The other outstanding virtue of Dynon Skyview Touch is the documentation, including an active forum, wiki and very detailed web pages dedicated to the installation, troubleshooting and routine operation of Skyview. I have never experienced any other aviation avionics company with such complete documentaion.

I am now working my way through a detailed manual offered by Dynon to fine tune the autopilot. The Dynon autopilot is an advanced autopilot which comes standard with Skyview. To activate the autopilot all you need to do is install two autopilot servos ($750 each) and you have a very capable two axis autopilot. This autopilot uses the same microprocessor driven servos found on most modern GA aircraft today. They communicate with Skyview over a digital bus system in the airplane.

So for around $14,000 in hardware you can have a single panel Skyview Touch system with autopilot, ADS-B receiver, ADS-B out transponder, engine monitoring system and remote mounted VHF COM. This $14,000 system gives you free weather and a very capable traffic avoidance system all in one package. Pretty neat.