Thread: Getting it home

Default Getting it home

I live in Madison, WI, and I'm in line for delivery of a CC in Yakima in mid-Nov '14. Already I'm thinking about the best route to fly it home. Following I-90 from Coeur d'Alene to east of Bozeman seems like the obvious route, and well within the capabilities of the airplane. However, it may be near the end of November by the time I'm ready to make the trip home.

I'm wondering most about what it's going to be like in the cockpit of the CC at altitude over the mountains at that time of year. Will I need an Arctic Survival Suit? I'll be patient about waiting for decent weather to cross the mountains so that doesn't concern me too much, and if I follow the interstate I'll always (?) have a place to land in an emergency, right?

Comments and suggestions welcome (even if they begin with "Are you nuts?)

Thanks.
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Default Re: Getting it home

Hi, Bill.

Isn't planning your trip home fun?

I suspect that if you apply the winterizing kit that comes with the airplane (basically using weather stripping to plug up some of the air leaks in the cabin), you should have enough heat to stay comfortable with normal cool weather clothing. The snowmobile suit option will come in handy should you have to land short of an airport and have to sit a while. While there is an Interstate Hwy under your proposed route, airports are further apart than they are at home.

If you spend some time putting a few hours on your airplane before heading east, you will have high confidence in your airplane before the terrain gets serious on the way to WI.

Have fun.

John
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida

Buy a roll of 2 or 3 inch BLUE masking tape. As you fly along feel for where the air is coming in and tape it up. I usually have the entire left side of the cabin completely sealed. The blue stuff peels right up with no residue whatsoever. And if it is really cold I will tape up the right side completely each time I close it up. Not worried about egress, the blue tape is low-tack enough that I can still open door without removing the tape first. There's just no way to completely seal up the cabin without resorting to the tape. Never has been in a Cub, never will be. The rear baggage area is a huge cold "sink", if you put your hands back behind you the cold air can be felt moving forward. Consider taking a wool blanket to create a curtain, or use your sleeping bag (You'll be smart to be carrying one anyway.) After September all the way through late March I carry full winter gear. I don't have an electric heat set-up, but I do dress in layers with a Smartwool base. If its below 30 I wear ski pants over my jeans or slacks. Neck gaiter does wonders for keeping heat from radiating out around your collar. It gets cold along that I-90 route once fall hits. I flew a WACO this past November from Spokane to Atlanta. I was wishing it was a month earlier. That being said...I've moved CC Cubs out of Yakima to points east multiple times in the heart of winter...late December into January. Only a couple instances have I become too cold to want to keep going. Land and find a hotel. Usually no problem though.

See here for more:

http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...lp-tips-advice
    Last edited by Clay Hammond; 05-07-2014 at 10:43 PM.

I use the Gerbing heated jacket in the Winter. It uses an internal lithium battery that works for hours. Buy the upgraded larger battery and you will be good all day. Charge it at night.

http://www.thewarmingstore.com/gerbing-7v.html

Thanks guys. Great info and tips. I don't think I've ever looked forward to winter before!
    Bill Gillen
    Madison, WI