Thread: CCEX Build Time

Default CCEX Build Time

We all know there's a huge range for build time. It's not uncommon to see builders taking years and 1000's of hours to complete their build. This was a big consideration for me when I was looking at kits and after comparing several I felt that Cubcrafters would give me the best support and ultimately the shortest build time. I'm a first time builder and the entire project, including paint has been done in my 3-car garage. I'm now at the point of installing my panel and engine and following that, I'll be moving it to the airport for final assembly and rigging.

So having said all that, I thought it might be helpful or at least interesting for prospective CCEX builders to know how my build has gone. Here's my time logged thus far.....

Wing Assembly: 185
    Fuselage : 128
    Extended Baggage: 21
    Covering: 165
    Rib Lacing: 40
    Tapes: 92
    Poly-Brush:58
    Poly-Spray: 25
    Paint Prep/Primer: 28
    Final Paint Coats (Poly Tone): 77
    Assemblies and Finish: 11

Total time to date: 830 Hours

I know some builders out there will have gotten this far in less time, but for a first-time builder, I'm pretty happy with the time it's taken specially when I factor in the learning curve. My target has been a 1,000 hours or less and I'm thinking I'll hit it.

Default Re: CCEX Build Time

Thanks for posting the times Paul. I kept track of mine in Excel entering the time and area I worked on. I was right in that 800 hour range too. And that was in an 11 month time period. I worked on it nearly everyday, some days both before and after my regular work day.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Thanks for posting the times Paul. I kept track of mine in Excel entering the time and area I worked on. I was right in that 800 hour range too. And that was in an 11 month time period. I worked on it nearly everyday, some days both before and after my regular work day.
    Thats outstanding Dan....800 hours. I'm just under a 1,000 now. The panel has taken more time than I expected but I'm fine with that considering the extra work around the autopilot and engine monitoring plus the fact It's my first build and first go at wiring.

Thanks for posting your build times. I am helping a friendwith some planning etc.He is interestedin purchasing a kit and I have been very interested in the Carbon Cub and havebeen trying to get someone local to build one.I hear many good things about them.Dan L I would be interested in seeing your Excel spreadsheet if youwouldn't mind sharing it.I haveassembled several Experimental Exhibition Aero L-39's and Shorts Tucanos buthave never built an amateur built aircraft and would love to sometime.For now I have to hope someone I know getsone and I can help out a little.

Hey Brent, hope your friend decides on the Carbon Cub. I'm just over 1,000 hrs now with my panel 95% complete. I can't say enough about the quality of the CCEX kit and the whole program.
    Last edited by Paul; 06-23-2014 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks Paul. I will be coming back down to Phoenix to work on anL-39 at Deer Valley July 9th to the 14th it would be great to see your projectif you were available and willing to show it off a little maybe.I have had a couple ofthe factory Light Sports land here at KBPP while getting delivered to customers. Ilooked over them a little and was very impressed, but it would be great to see one of the amateur buildsthat's not 100% completed and be able to ask a couple questions about experiences with build.

Unfortunately, I'm going to be away for that time period that you're here in AZ. Would be nice to meet you. As for looking at my CCEX, you're perfectly welcome. I could make arrangements with a friend of mine to meet you here for a self-guided tour.
    I fly over your country once in awhile on my way up to my office up north...will have to stop in for fuel and a coffee sometime.

Thanks but I'd rather look over your CCEX when you are there to show it and answer a few questions and get your opinions as the builder. You can look me up anytime on AirNav's airport info for KBPP and get ahold of me anytime with any of those contacts as well. I will be back through Phoenix quickly end of July as well as some time in August when I pick up my maintenance trailer on my why to TX.

The cub shop went quiet for about 4 months over the summer. I got back at it in October. So after pouring the coal to my EX build I'm excited to report that I'm about 15 hours away from , "cleared for takeoff" completion of this beautiful kit plane. So I'd like to share my total hours with anyone that may be looking at or already started into building Cubcrafters Carbon Cub EX.

When you're looking at these numbers, bear in mind a few things...

I'm a first time builder
    I followed Polyfiber's advice to paint with white (2 full coats) before putting on my final Cub Yellow.
    I installed the extended baggage and extra fuel tanks
    I installed the World VFR Panel, complete with Trutrak Vizion AutoPilot, EI Engine Monitoring System plus a Smoke System

All included in these hours....

Wings Assembly: 209
    Fuselage: 154
    Extended Baggage: 22
    Covering: 165
    Rib Lacing: 41
    Tapes: 93
    PolyBrush: 59
    PolySpray: 26
    Lighting: 4
    Paint Prep and Primer: 29
    Final Paint Coats: 86
    Finish: 82
    Panel and Wiring: 90
    Firewall Forward and Engine: 77

Total time to completion: 1,150 Hours

Factoring in my level of experience and all the learning curves, I'm certain my second EX ....would take less than 1,000 hours.

Paul,
    I'd say that was pretty darn good for a first time builder
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA