Thread: 2014 Breaks Flyin~13-15 June~Bushwheel Awareness Week~Big News Her

Default 2014 Breaks Flyin~13-15 June~Bushwheel Awareness Week~Big News Here

2014 Breaks Flyin~13-15 June~Bushwheel Awareness Week~Big News Here

Many of you have asked through the years if it was possible to land in the Wild and Scenic Missouri River Corridor; and the answer has always been “no”. I honestly thought that would always be the case. That’s changed. One of our local champions of GA bought one of the last pieces of land along the river. The first thing he did is put in a 3000 ft dirt private airstrip…yep, we have permission.

The first night of the flyin we will cooking and serving bar-b-q dinner to attendees in the Missouri River Canyon, under the cottonwoods, and along a stretch of river basically unchanged since Lewis and Clark saw it. It is also near the place Chief Joseph (“From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever”) led his survivors to surrender after kicking the hell out of the US cavalry in a 1400 mile retreat across the Pacific Northwest. This should be some of the very best experiences that Eastern Montana has to offer to a pilot. We need some dry weather; the strip was constructed last winter and it will be “ugly” if wet. I’ll be giving some PIREPs as soon as I have wings again in May. This strip is not on the maps. I’ll post GPS location in subsequent email.

13 June:
    Arrival or fly around in the Breaks; check in at Winifred (9S7) first; own navigation to the Breaks and River Strip.

Afternoon: Get tied down and pitch camp on the river at your leisure.

6:00 pm: We will be cooking bar-b-q most of the afternoon. Bar-b-q, fruit salad, green salad, beans, bread are provided. If you want something else bring it but elementary-school rules are in force (if you bring something good, bring enough to share). We will try to get water down there, but unless you want to drink from the river (not recommended), bring your own beverages and water. I have not had time to see if the fishing is any good along this stretch, but this is an isolated private piece of land. We can take care of it and have lots of fun too.

14 June:
    Breakfast: Fly river routes (Missouri to Judith Rivers) to Lewistown Flyin for breakfast.

Afternoon: We’ll see if there is interest in a poker run in the Breaks.

Evening: Hangarburgers in the Winifred hangar. Meet and greet with the town folks and local pilots.

15 June:
    Breakfast: Winifred Cafe .
    Departure at your leisure for home or extended adventure on the way to Bushwheel Awareness Week ~ Johnson Creek.

You will want to leave some time to wander through Winifred… the way the world used to be and the way we wish it could always be; here at the “end of the road”.

More info to follow. Call if you need to: 406 462 5487 Ralph and Melissa
    Last edited by Centmont; 04-25-2014 at 09:43 PM.
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.