Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Wing Rotators

Default Re: Wing Rotators

I have to ask what may be a stupid question. But why are all the wing stands full length and not cantilevered more like an engine stand but with a upper support to catch the strut points? I understand the geometry involved and strengths of materials to accomplish it. Just had to ask if there were reasons outside of what I am guessing ?
    I just picked up a “started” ex3 kit and need to make all the needed rotisserie’s. Not trying to reinvent the wheel but don’t want to copy something just because “that’s how it’s always been done” either.
    New to CC and really enjoy the well connected community here.

Quote Originally Posted by xcflyn View Post
    I have to ask what may be a stupid question. But why are all the wing stands full length and not cantilevered more like an engine stand but with a upper support to catch the strut points? I understand the geometry involved and strengths of materials to accomplish it. Just had to ask if there were reasons outside of what I am guessing ?
    I just picked up a “started” ex3 kit and need to make all the needed rotisserie’s. Not trying to reinvent the wheel but don’t want to copy something just because “that’s how it’s always been done” either.
    New to CC and really enjoy the well connected community here.

I built them as close to the factory’s design as I could. My suggestion don’t experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Corrado View Post
    I built them as close to the factory’s design as I could. My suggestion don’t experiment.
    Dan as you know I just completed an EX3. I did not have wing nor fuse rotator. In fact I felt they were no better than what I used. I used two saw horses for each wing and had extra hand to flip the wing when I was ready to cover the other side. I flipped them. It worked just fine. When spraying, I hung them in the paint booth. High enough so I could get to the leading edge.

As for the fuse, I built a tic Tac toe grid frame out of remaining kit box lumber and the tail always rested on a 2’ high saw horse. Same thing. Xtra hands to rotate as needed and it worked fine. All who have seen it, love the plane.
    Cub Crafters
    Factory Direct New & Used Aircraft Sales
    NorthEast & Great Lakes Region

Bogert Wing Rotator Update. Six years ago an issue was described with the Bogert Rotator. https://forum.cubcrafters.com/showth...ll=1#post12104 The conclusion and solution described in that post was:

“I suspect Bogert may make some modifications once it learns of these issues. The solution is easy: simply make the length of the two center supports adjustable and make the minimum length of each a couple of inches longer.”

Shortly after that post, Richard Bogert reached out and we talked about the issue. That Cub was completed and the rotator sold. The issue was soon forgotten.

I ordered another Bogert rotator this year for the current Cub project. Setting it up for covering the wings I discovered that the two center supports are now adjustable. This means the washout and height of the wing can be adjusted solving the problem noted so long ago.

IMG_2534.jpg

IMG_2538.jpg

Kudos and thanks to Bogert Aviation for listening to a customer and making this revision!

Now a little tip. How do you hold the seven washers together used as a spacer? Wrap them with masking tape before installing.

IMG_2535.jpg

IMG_2537.jpg