Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ozark backcountry fly-in 2014

Default Ozark Backcountry Fly-In 2014

Last edited by John Whitish; 04-21-2014 at 04:42 PM.

Senior Member Warren Aircraft LLC's Avatar

Default Re: Ozark backcountry fly-in 2014

Few more details added,

Stay tuned for more..

Come join Warren Aircraft and CubCrafters for an exploration- a celebration of Ozark Mountain airstrips. We’ll make our base at world famous Gaston’s White River Resort, with their 3,200 ft. Bermuda grass airstrip. Scot Warren is working to organize some fly-outs to backcountry airstrips. One fly-out location, Buffalo River Lodge, offers all day canoe and zip line tours on a limited first-come, first-served basis. http://buffaloriver.com/. More fly-outs are coming and Scot will post a list. Stay tuned for details.

While you’re at Gaston’s, enjoy guided trout fishing on the White River or lake fishing above Bull Scholes Dam. Besides world-class fishing, Gaston’s offers hiking, boating, as well as Gaston’s famous restaurant.
    Scot and Gaston's will also host short-field take-off and landing demonstrations, flour bombing, as well as a little friendly competition. On Sunday evening, Gaston’s Traditional Hickory Smoked Ribs and Chicken dinner will be served in the hangar.

Lunch available at Byrds adventure center the 24th and other activities including a 4 wheel drive competition May Madness", canoeing, kayaking, limited jeep rides, much more.

Barbecue Chicken & Ribs​: Chicken breast filet (1 per person), half rack of ribs, coleslaw, potato salad,
    river beans, garlic toast, and cobbler. ​$ 24.95 in Gaston's hanger the evening of the 25th, live band, cash bar, and free beer.

So come join us at Gaston’s… Thursday through Sunday, May 22nd - 26th.

Fly, fish or just relax and take in the views.

Even if you have already told myself or your local dealer your coming please take time to fill out the RSVP form below for nose count on food and activities..

Thank you,,

Click here to RSVP for the Fly-In

Click here for more information and reservations at Gaston’s White River Resort.

Contact Scot Warren for more info
    (940) 367-0929
    scot@warrenaircraft.com

Last edited by Warren Aircraft LLC; 04-18-2014 at 08:04 PM.
    Scot Warren - Member / President
    Warren Aircraft™ LLC
    940-367-0929
    scot@warrenaircraft.com
    www.warrenaircraft.com

Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, & Louisiana

I've participated in the Gaston's event for the past several years. It may be my favorite event of the year. Absolutely great place, great folks, lots of activities, and fun flying. I'll attach a few photos from last year.

SteveGastons-2-24.jpgGastons-1-141.jpgGastons-1-196.jpgGastons-1-208.jpgGastons-1-294.jpgGastons-1-379.jpgGastons-1-440.jpgGastons-1-420.jpgGastons-1-430.jpg
    Last edited by Steve V; 04-19-2014 at 06:43 AM.

I'm expecting 4-6 Carbon Cubs to make the trip from the southeast territory. Firm headcount the end of next week. Looking forward to the trip!!

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Thumbs up Re: Ozark backcountry fly-in 2014

I'll be there. Looking forward to it!!

Jon

Looks like it should be good food!! Gaston's restaurant made the top 26 list of airport restaurants from http://www.100dollarhamburger.com/BOB.html

Jon

Here is a list of places we plan to explore / visit in Arkansas. Zen from Byrds adventure cent is working hard to help us find multi experience level places to have fun.. I am still working on more possible places from a couple other groups to visit..

It is all coming together please remember to take the short survey just so we can get an idea for food etc..

Aerial Points of Interest Within 30 Miles ofByrd's Adventure Center

Orientedfrom north to south. Numbered for reference. Additional points pending.

1. Huntsville Municipal (H34) - 36° 4'39.82"N 93°45'15.78"W
    Fuel Stop.

2. Drake Field in Fayetteville (FYV) - 36° 0'25.64"N 94°10'22.81"W
    Fuel stop and excellent air museum.

3. Gravel Bar on War Eagle Creek -
    Photo op: Cool spot to fly over. Big tires mightland here in an emergency. A navigable waterway,probably legal for landing.

4. Gravel Bar on White River -
    Photo op: Another cool gravel bar to fly over. Isit possible? Big tires would be a must. A navigablewaterway, probably legal for landing.

5. Ozark Box Canyon Adventure -
    Photo op: Areally cool spot in the Little Mulberry headwaters with lots of side canyons toexplore. The cliffs are along Beech-Hurricane Creek. This is Arkansasbackcountry flying at its best.

6. Fallsville Store -
    Photo op: This is a highpoint along the BostonMountains of the Ozarks. This spot divides the major headwaters of the Ozarks. Fromthis area flows the Buffalo River, the White River, the Kings River, the BigPiney River, and the Mulberry River--each in different directions.

7. Half Ass Ranch -
    Photo op and possible landing spot: Very nicefolks live in this little canyon cabin. Wave your wings to say hello. Land ifyou dare for free iced tea. Permission granted bylandowners. Will have a short strip mowed with wind indicators. Room for asmall number of planes.

8. Spy Rock -
    Photo op: Legendary gold mine of De Soto in 1541

9. Swingin' Bridge -
    Photo op: Really nice mountain folks live here.This footbridge across the Mulberry River is how they get to civilization. Waveyour wings to say hello. Permission granted bylandowner. Will have a short strip mowed with wind indicators. This may be ashuttle spot to the Oark General Store for food. Family in need. Room for lotsof planes.

10. Oark General Store & Cafe -
    Photo op. Built in 1890, this is the oldestoperational general store in Arkansas. Great burgers. Call 479-292-3351 for aride to the Oark Store from nearby Backcountry Hayfields.

11. Backcountry Hayfields -
    Possible landing area if the grass isn't tall andgophers aren't busy. Make a few passes first. Watch out for rusty fence pipeson the field's south half. This spot is within 1/2 mile walking distance of theOark General Store.Permissiongranted by landowner. Will have a medium strip mowed. This may be a shuttlespot to the Oark General Store for food. Generally a good spot to land withplenty of room for planes.

12. Mulberry Gravel Bar # 1 –
    A very cool gravel bar that mightwork for water-ski landings. Need to scout this with Scot. Should be 100% legalfor public use.

13. Mulberry Gravel Bar #2 -
    Note: several other possible gravelbars exist in this vicinity.

14. Byrd's Adventure Center Main Runway - 35°40'38.33"N 93°43'57.37"W
    This is our main landing area. 1900 feet long,plus a 600 foot extension for a total of 2500 feet. Long approach and exit onthe east side. Tall trees on the west side. Suitable for many single engineairplanes including high and low-wing tail draggers and tricycle airplanes.Watch out for gusty days or strong north winds. Extra power is advised. Don'toverload your airplane!

15. Byrd's Short Runway - 35°40'53.59"N 93°44'38.30"W
    This 1000 foot strip is surrounded by power linesand obstacles. Suitable only for serious bush planes with expert pilots inideal conditions. Scout thoroughly beforehand. Extra power a must.

16. Mountain Top Meadows -
    Photo op: These hayfields are easy to land in anemergency. Permission NOT granted by landowner for landings or low passes. Engine outonly.

17. White Rock Mountain -
    Photo op: This is a very famous peak in theOzarks. It's fun to fly past the lookout point.

18. Turner Bend Bridge -
    Photo op: The Mulberry River's famous steelbridge.

19. Abandoned Airstrip on Lower MulberryRiver -
    Photo op: A nice strip to buzz (or land in anemergency). Permission NOT granted by landowner for landings. Low passes okay.

20. Abandoned Mountain Top Airstrip -
    Photo op: A mountain top strip to land and enjoy. Permission granted by landowner. A cool little bush stripwith red dirt that reminds me of Africa or Australia. Room for several planes.

21. Contran -
    Photo op: Land here only in an emergency. Pleasedon't scare the wildlife. Permission NOT granted by landowner for landingsor low passes. Engine out only.

22. Ozark Municipal (7M5) - 35°30'38.83"N 93°50'20.96"W
    Closest fuel stop to Byrd's Adventure Center (only10 miles away). No courtesy car. Days Inn and other hotels nearby. Good food atRivertowne BBQ and the Thai Steakhouse.

23. Old Skyranch Airport –
    Nice little grass strip near Alma,Arkansas. Permission granted by landowner. Room for several planes.

24. Ozark Arch Bridge - 35°29'2.45"N 93°49'56.92"W
    Photo op: Famous arch bridge over the ArkansasRiver.

25. Clarksville Municipal (H35) -35°28'11.94"N 93°26'3.38"W
    A nice airport with a comfortable FBO and 5-personcourtesy car on site. Lots ofrestaurants in town including Waffle House, standard franchises, and fine Italiandining. Wal-Mart Supercenter is located on the south side of town.

26. Altus Wine Country - 35°27'47.91"N 93°44'34.40"W
    Photo op: lots of good wineries down there. Goodscenery too.

27. Winfield Airpark (54AR) - 35°23'34.63"N 93°45'37.76"W
    Nice private airstrip on the Arkansas Serengeti.Friendly folks live here. Permission NOT granted by landowner for landings.Low passes okay.

28. Etna Airpark - 35°22'11.26"N 93°50'39.73"W
    Another nice private strip near the ArkansasRiver. Landings can be tricky. Very friendly folks to visit here. Permission granted. These folks would love to havevisitors. Room for lots of planes. Club-house available. Shuttle to nearbyburger joint can be arranged.

29. Mt. Magazine - 35°10'0.60"N 93°38'41.35"W
    Photo op: The Highest Mountain in Arkansas. Watchfor hang gliders near the mountain top lodge on the south side.

30. Booneville Municipal (4M2) - 35° 8'55.58"N 93°51'57.06"W
    Very nice FBO with fuel at the foot of Mt.Magazine (Arkansas' highest mountain). Booneville is a small frontier town withlots of amenities. Great spot to visit. Plenty ofroom for planes.

Visual example of places we will be visiting- those who wish to anyway..

1460240_662959040414822_831671717_n.jpg DSC_3604.jpg DSC_3658.jpg DSC_6032.jpg Oark Gavel Bar.jpg Sunset over Oark, Arkansas.jpg 1499451_686377691406290_1967312700_n.jpg Byrd's Runway.jpg DSC_1156.jpg DSC_3519.jpg DSC_3523.jpg DSC_3532.jpg
    Last edited by Warren Aircraft LLC; 05-09-2014 at 10:34 AM.
    Warren Aircraft™ LLC
    940-367-0929
    scot@warrenaircraft.com
    www.warrenaircraft.com

In addition to previous list. Todd Peterson with his Katmi group has also arranged permission at the below listed strips.

Should be plenty of places to go and see or do. Tailor your own flying adventure and skills.

Todd Peterson 8:52am May 10
    For those of you wanting to join in the fun for some Arkansas back country flying here is a partial list of the strips I have lined up. I have contacted the owners of these strips and they are enthusiastic about our visiting them. Mike Mills strip at Ponca, Landers Loop, Al Laenue's private strip, Ozark Skies, Lost Bridge, Black Horse Landing, Silver Wings, Thunder Ridge, Mike Roller's strip, The Peninsula, and Valley, This is in addition to Byrds, Gainesville Memorial and some of the other strips open to the public. There is a really neat sounding museum on one of the strips and their lengths run from 1100 feet up to maybe an average of 2,800 feet. I was going to fly down today and check them out but low ceilings and fog made me change my plans to later this coming week. I'l give you a report on what I find with some pictures. Many of these strips are just beautiful from what I have seen and I can't wait to go visit them. We are still on for the dates of May 21st through the 25th with our base of operations at Gaston's Resort. Unfortunately I will need to head back on the 23rd for a prior commitment.
    Warren Aircraft™ LLC
    940-367-0929
    scot@warrenaircraft.com
    www.warrenaircraft.com

T shirts for event.
    One free per person per $20+ donation to RAF at registration for the event.

Additional shirts $20

tshirt back.jpgtshirt front.jpg
    Warren Aircraft™ LLC
    940-367-0929
    scot@warrenaircraft.com
    www.warrenaircraft.com