Thread: Applying Yellow Poly-Tone on Fabric

Default Applying Yellow Poly-Tone on Fabric

Just offering up some details on the procedure I followed for applying Cub Yellow to my EX this past week. Again, I don't claim to know very much about painting but the experience has been 100% enjoyable and manageable plus I've learned a lot along the way. I pretty much followed the procedure laid out in Poly Fiber's manual and for what it's worth, here's some finer points I picked up along the way and incorporated into my paint job.

Applying Poly Tone to Fabric Parts

1) Clean the part very well using clean water or Poly Fiber's recommended cleaning solution. Doesn't hurt to spray the entire surface down with clean water and immediately towel dry with clean cotton rags. If you don’t clean before scuffing you’re actually forcing some of the impurities into the poly-spray coat.
    2) Right after cleaning, scuff entire surface including edges using 320 or 400 grit sandpaper. Don’t overdo it. In fact so long as your paper doesn't get paint spots on it, use it even after the sandpaper is well worn, it will get the job done just fine. You do not want to be able to feel the scuffing but it should be visible.
    3) Wipe with a clean dry cotton rag and clean water. Be sure to switch to clean rags frequently or you're just pushing dirt and residue around not removing it.
    4) Now I move right on to my finish coats. I went with 2 coats of Poly-Tone #105 Insignia White. You could probably get away with one heavy but I prefer a light first coat then hit it again 20 minutes later.
    5) After consulting with Poly Fiber I decided to go straight to Cub yellow on the same day. It doesn’t hurt to wait at least 2 hours but Hualdo at Poly Fiber said it was fine to go right ahead with yellow after the white reaches tack. The book recommends 2 hours but any time after tacky stage is fine. Clean your gun between white and yellow coats.
    6) Before you start your final coats (white base and yellow final) you should have all your paint and reducer out and ready and final paint shaken ready for reducing.
    7) Remember to chill your paint (yes, in your fridge next to the milk) overnight before using. If you take it out of your hot trunk or garage the paint will set up too quick and you’ll minimize the small amount of gloss you can get out of Poly Tone.
    8) Control the temps in your paint booth or only paint on days when the temp is between 60 and 75.
    9) Check every finish coat (including white base coat) for dust or impurities in the finish and give it a light scuff if necessary. Scuff with used 320 Grit
    10) For your last, final coat, turn your nozzle so the fan is horizontal. Then apply the paint by “pushing” this coat (moving forward) and moving your gun vertically on the piece, with a slight angle, shooting the paint forward. This minimizes the amount of over-spray on the area you’re leaving behind and you’ll see the gloss appear immediately behind your work. I used this technique only on the final pass of the final color. It gave me just the amount of gloss that I was looking for.
    11) The white base coat is absolutely necessary. It covers the Poly-Spray silver very well. You’ll use a lot more Yellow if you try to cover the silver directly and could get some discoloration if the coverage is not consistent.
    12) If you’re looking for the classic Cub look, Poly Tone #143 Cub Yellow is the way to go! Just be sure that’s the tone you’re looking for as it’s a very orange yellow.

Couple final notes....
    On one day when the temperature climbed to the high 80’s I added some BR8600 Blush Retarder. This was added to the reduced mixture (4:1 Poly-Tone/R65-75) 1 oz. per quart. This produced a slightly longer drying time and I was able to get the gloss that I was achieving on the other parts when the temps were lower.

And finally, if you are moving on to your final coats immediately after applying your Poly Spray, technically you don't have to scuff the Poly Spray but I feel that the scuffing between all coats just provides that much more tooth adhesion so I scuffed every opportunity I had.

Hope this helps.
    Paul

Default Re: Applying Yellow Poly-Tone on Fabric

Thanks Paul... Very helpful!