Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CubCrafters Introduces New Flagship Panel

Default Re: CubCrafters Introduces New Flagship Panel

If you can run the autopilot and the radios without the big screen, why would you want them to take up space on the panel? Wonder why Cubcrafters went this way? It would be better to have the backup instruments like the photoshop above. Maybe the radio makes sense for redundancy?! Thoughts? I'm just trying to figure out which way to go in my EX build (unless I get impatient and buy one).
    Joe Rainey

Quote Originally Posted by joejenie View Post
    If you can run the autopilot and the radios without the big screen, why would you want them to take up space on the panel? Wonder why Cubcrafters went this way? It would be better to have the backup instruments like the photoshop above. Maybe the radio makes sense for redundancy?! Thoughts? I'm just trying to figure out which way to go in my EX build (unless I get impatient and buy one).
    Joe (and all),

The reason for including the dedicated com head is that we want an easy and intuitive pilot interface. Jim and I both find it highly annoying to have to make several menu selections when all we want to do is tune a frequency or flip-flop the freqs. We believe that one's eyes should be looking outside most of the time rather than trying to locate a particular small button on a screen and then trying to navigate menus. It is my observation that especially when pilots are stressed in the cockpit, such as in a busy airspace environment, or bad weather, or anything else that is stressful, that we want to reduce the workload by keeping it simple.

Same thing applies to autopilot, who wants to navigate through several layers of buttons and menus, especially when they might be hard to locate with your fingers due to turbulence. I want to know where a particular button is ahead of time and push it quickly to achieve the desired control change. I took our new demo with the new ExecGlass Touch up for about an hour before it left for Florida and I'm already glad we made the decision we did.

Of course we do ANYTHING we can to reduce weight, and omitting the dedicated control heads would be one way to save some weight, but we've made the decision that the improvement in pilot interface is worth the weight.
    Randy Lervold

Thanks for the response Randy. Good to see you guys here representing the factory and not afraid to answer some questions.
    Joe Rainey

Amen to Cubcrafters for separate radio. My traveling airplane is outfitted with the GTN 750/650. Going thru menus when under stress is frustrating and potentially dangerous, especially in IMC. I sometimes miss the KX155A for radios, KLN94 for GPS and a separate transponder and audio panel that was in my previous bird. Lots of boxes and buttons but each button has a dedicated function and your fingers find them very quickly. great decision.