Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CubCrafters Introduces New Flagship Panel

Default Re: CubCrafters Introduces New Flagship Panel

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Another question. If one were not interested in the autopilot freeing up space on the left side of the panel, would that space be sufficient for an altimeter and air speed indicator? I really like the idea of a little back up should there be a panel failure.

Chuck
    Chuck, if you're building a kit you can put whatever you want there. We are planning a small glove box when the AP is not ordered.
    Randy Lervold

For those that like a bit of a back up and don't need auto pilot, this simple mod is what I would consider. Gauges are from the "my panel."

Chuck

PanelGlassGauges2014.jpg

Lurking around other aviation forums where there is much more information on Garmin Touch. It appears Garmin support has not discovered the CubCrafters forum so far. Garmin claims manuals for Garmin Touch may be available in a week.

Garmin Touch panel has a 10.6" diagonal screen, 1,280x768 pixels. The panel has external dimensions of 10.85" wide x 7.82" high. There are two versions: GDU 460 and GDU 465. The GDU 465 has built in SiriusXM weather.

In contrast, the Dynon Skyview Touch Panel has a 10" diagonal screen, 1024x600 pixels. The entire panel measures 10.32" wide x 7.06" high.

So the Garmin Touch panel is big.

The Garmin Touch has BNC connector on the back allowing any NTSC video signal to be displayed on the screen.

While both panel systems offer external modules to allow autopilot control it appears both touch panels support auto pilot control via a touch interface. Given limited panel space, weight issues and no requirement to operate the autopilot in an IFR environment, I wonder about the need to have a separate autopilot head in the Carbon Cub for either system.

Same thought applies for an external module to control the COM radio. There is definitely a key pad touch screen in Garmin Touch to control COM functions. In Skyview Touch you can recall frequencies on the screen but so far I cannot find a screen shot of a touch pad panel to control COM functions. It may be there but it is not in the documentation.

So it appears with the Garmin Touch system and possibly the Skyview Touch system you could have a instrument panel with the only device being the touch panel itself. This would obvious save weight, reduce complexity and cost. It would also make available limited panel space for other uses. Downside is that a panel failure would wipe out all functionality.

Here are more screen shots of the Garmin Touch system.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Bob,

Are you able to change your specs and get this new panel into your new plane that is being built? If so, is this the panel you are doing? You going to do the autopilot head as well?
    Joe Rainey

Quote Originally Posted by joejenie View Post
    Bob,

Are you able to change your specs and get this new panel into your new plane that is being built? If so, is this the panel you are doing? You going to do the autopilot head as well?
    Joe I am going to stay with the "MyPanel" option and probably going for Skyview Touch. I could wait till later in the summer and get the Garmin Touch installed on the line in a new Carbon Cub. Either the Garmin Touch or the Skyview Touch would be great in the Carbon Cub, so it is a tough choice.

I have looked at all the available documentation (still no pilot manual for Garmin Touch but they did release the install manual). There is no flying Skyview Touch and only one flying Garmin Touch in the Carbon Cub, so it is unlikely that I could fly both systems before making a decision.

Based on information available right now I am staying with the "MyPanel" option in CC316 which should be on the line next week for a May 29th delivery. Turns out the "MyPanel" option is a great choice if you want to do a post delivery installation of Skyview Touch.

MyPanel comes with a Trig 21 Transponder and a Trig 91 COM. Turns out that the Skyview transponder is just a relabeled Trig 21. The Trig 91 COM is fully supported by Skyview, so you get the same functionality using a Trig 91 COM with Skyview as you get installing the new Skyview COM. So a Carbon Cub with the MyPanel option destined for a Skyview post delivery installation comes off the line with part of the job done. Since my CC will be prewired on the line for Skyview after delivery I only need to install the Skyview Touch panel and the engine module.

I will install the autopilot but I see no need for an autopilot head in the Carbon Cub. Based on the documentation you have full control of the autopilot via the Skyview Touch screen, so an autopilot head is just redundant.

I am also investigating building a custom carbon fiber panel for the Skyview installation in my new Carbon Cub. You could make the Skyview Touch Panel fit in MyPanel option, using the existing aluminum panel but it seems like a Carbon Cub should have a carbon fiber panel. They are very popular in the RV aircraft.

Lastly I am evaluating the Vertical Power VP-X Sport system for CC316. The Vertical Power system is totally supported by Skyview Touch. With the Vertical Power system most switches, circuit breakers and a bunch of wiring is eliminated. System is similar in concept to how the electrical system is implemented in the Eclipse.

Last edited by turbopilot; 04-04-2014 at 07:54 AM.

Turbopilot
    Last time I asked Dynon, they did not support the Trig transponder. Even though the same manufacturer (trig) they told me the interface was customized for Dynon. This may have changed, so please check with them on the transponder and radio before you finalize your decision so you don't have to buy the Dynon version in addition.

Garmin has posted the pilot manual now, and they do support the VP-X.

I am evaluating the skyview or the g3x touch for my EX.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The VP-X looks like a great way to go if it all works. Would love to see Cub Crafters adopt it. Kind of goes along with their theme of less parts. Thanks for the information Bob.
    Joe Rainey

Quote Originally Posted by clipwingcub View Post
    Turbopilot
    Last time I asked Dynon, they did not support the Trig transponder. Even though the same manufacturer (trig) they told me the interface was customized for Dynon. This may have changed, so please check with them on the transponder and radio before you finalize your decision so you don't have to buy the Dynon version in addition.

Garmin has posted the pilot manual now, and they do support the VP-X.

I am evaluating the skyview or the g3x touch for my EX.

Tony

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the update. I have not talked to Dynon about the transponder, just read the documentation. Trig transponder comes with it's own head whereas the Dynon Skyview does not. In Skyview the transponder is entirely controlled via the panel. I wonder if there is an issue using both Skyview and the Trig transponder head at the same time.

For me not a big issue as I plan to stay with the Trig COM and Transponder head in my airplane. The Skyview install manual says it definitely supports the Trig 91 COM (i.e. moving frequencies back and forth.

One difference between Skyview Touch and Garmin Touch. Skyview Touch does not have a touch screen key panel to control the COM whereas Garmin Touch does.

Let us know how your Garmin versus Dynon evaluation goes. I am not beyond the point of no return for my airplane. Have not ordered the panel yet.

Having a bunch of hours flying Cirrus Perspective (very close to Garmin Touch without touch), I pretty well know what to expect from the Garmin product. For now I am really impressed with the robust support and documentation by Dynon for their Skyview products. Garmin has a long way to go to catch up to Dynon in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by joejenie View Post
    The VP-X looks like a great way to go if it all works. Would love to see Cub Crafters adopt it. Kind of goes along with their theme of less parts. Thanks for the information Bob.
    Joe, the box is pretty big, so one issue is where to put it. I don't think there would be any weight savings but the wiring behind the panel would be significantly reduced. Looks like all you would need is a master switch and a alternator circuit breaker on the panel. All other switches and CB's would be handled inside the VP-X box and controlled on the Skyview panel.

Just in case anyone is interested, (since we are talking about Dynon Skyview) I have been using their 6watt radio in my cub for about 6 weeks and can report excellent results. Picks up long range transmissions and is crystal clear after I discovered how to tweak the squelch. Everyone tells me I sound great transmitting to them also. So far it has exceeded my expectations. Clipwing and I had reservations about the low wattage...but so far, so good.