Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: ELT Placement

Default Re: ELT Placement

Quote Originally Posted by stautz View Post
    How can I tell what GPS data format is programmed into the ELT?
    I see no method defined in the installation manual. It appears to be programmed at the factory with no way for the end user to inspect what was programmed.

Who provided the ELT? If provided by CubCrafters I suggest you ask kit support what configuration they order.

"G. ELT Programming NOTE: Programming is performed by customer if so equipped or through a programming sheet supplied to ACR Electronics, Inc. with an ELT order. For information on ELT programmers and training, please contact ACR Electronics, Inc."

H. RS-232 Acceptable Nav Data
    1) NMEA 0183 baud rate is 4800.
    2) Aviation protocol baud rate is 9600.
    3) Programing of the ELT 345 will determine the input of 4800 baud NMEA navigation data or 9600 baud Aviation protocol navigation data.
    4) The ELT 345 will parse GGA, GLL and RMC simultaneously. Output configurations that write GGA, GLL or RMC sentences at 4800 baud as specified in NMEA 0183 will be suitable.
    5) GPGGA is recommended if available.

What GDU 465 output data formats have you attempted?

Steve,
    If you contact Artex with your model and serial number they should be able to tell you how it was initially programmed from the factory.
    David

Have you configured the GDU RS-232 port to give an appropriate serial data output?

See G3X installation manual - 35.4.21 RS-232 Configuration Page.

I called ARTEX and they told me that the 345's are programmed RS232 to 9600 baud by default. To get anything else, you need to request it from the distributer.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    I might not understand you situation, but Artex 345 ELT does not have integrated GPS data. You have to get it from somewhere. I have been surprised to learn the ELT I bought needs to be reprogrammed to NMEA 0183 baud rate 4800. I've even talked to one of the avionics shops that Artex points to and they couldn't talk specifics of my ARTEX saying they didn't really know. They just simply said 'We could do that" for $200. I'm frustrated that I was ignorant and wasn't informed about my purchase and installation before I bought it.

I’m no wiring expert, but do you have a wire from D-Sub connector pin 9 at the Artex 345 wired to the G3X connector? That’s a place GPS data is available. I understand you would assign that in preliminary setup of the G3X. I have not got that far yet so it is a mystery to me...that’s just what I’ve been told.

An EAA friend who did all his own wiring of 3 G3Xs in his RV10 helped me wire for GPS data. This is what he said would work. I have not tested it yet however. This photo is from my CubCrafters Garmin G3X manual page 4 of 5. It shows penciled in the GDU 465 P4602 connector where I used the free RS-232 tx 5 or pin 41 for that data.

Attachment 11322
    Did you ever get this to work? I'm stuck with the exact same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by stautz View Post
    I called ARTEX and they told me that the 345's are programmed RS232 to 9600 baud by default. To get anything else, you need to request it from the distributer.
    Did you ever get this to work? I'm stuck with the exact same issues.

Artex 345: Unknown to me was the fact that my Artex 345 came from Aircraft Spruce programed with a default 9600 baud. I recently had Dallas Avionics reconfigure the ELT to 4800 baud for $225. Everything I had read or heard in conversation said this would be required. I understand you can request 4800 or 9600 baud these days.

When I got my ELT back the self tests showed two faults that I haven't addressed until today. Some of this may have been mentioned here

Self test instructions are found on page 31-33 in the Artex 345 ELT manual. I previously wired pin #9 of the ELT to the free RS-232 TX 5 pin #41 of the GDU 645-G3X (P4602 connector) for the required GPS nav data. I solder sleeved the shield and attached it to the backshell of connector P4602 and to ground at the ELT. I’m not sure that grounding both ends of a shield is correct practice??

Anyway today’s test showed two faults identified by 5 and 7 flashes & beeps.

1. The first fault with 5 flashes says the ELT baud rate didn’t match NAV baud rate. To fix this I entered Configuration on the G3X to the R-323 tab then to Port (pin)#5 and selected MNEA Out(4800 baud). That cleared the #5 fault indicating the ELT has good GPS data.
    2. The second fault with 7 flashes indicated my battery may need to be replaced. The battery wasn't that old so I was stumped. I had a thought. I opened the ELT, disconnecting the battery for a minute then reconnected it. There were two beeps when I connected the battery. I reassembled it, remounted and tested it. The battery fault had cleared. I guess it was like a reboot of the ELT that might have cleared an erroneous fault??? Or as Artex tech suggested perhaps the Dallas Avionics tech disconnected the battery and simply hadn't seated the connection well???

There you go. I thought it was good to share my experience. One more thing off my list.
    Last edited by jmorrical; 08-09-2021 at 10:00 AM.
    Jim Morrical