Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: ELT Placement

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default ELT Placement

I've heard of some builders installing their ELTs at the airbag attachment bracket. I was thinking of doing the same, can anyone give an explanation of the install?
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Default Re: ELT Placement

DSC02932.jpg
    Steve:
    Here is a picture of my installation.
    EV

Thanks EV, Looks like I just need to build an adapter plate.
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

My understanding is that the ELT will not fit under the seat with the new battery box. Where is CC mounting the ELT in factory built airplanes?

MR

My Artex 345 ELT is installed at the ArmSafe mount in the extended cargo area. My warning buzzer is also mounted there. I'm using a three wire shielded cable to connect to the remote switch and the serial nav data (GPS) in the cockpit.

• Do any of you have suggestions for the best place to mount the remote switch...pro and con? The instrument panel, a header or somewhere else? I've seen some info on the Forum long ago, but the 'Search' effort yields nothing for me now.
    • Can someone give details about where I find how to connect for the so-called serial nav data (GPS) necessary for my ELT GPS source? I wonder do I connect it to my Garmin GDU 465 G3X Touch or GTX-345R Transponder some how?

I know Pin #9 at the ELT D-Sub connector is for the Serial Nav Date, but I do not know where I connect it.

IMG_3069 2.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 10.59.44 PM.png
    Last edited by jmorrical; 01-11-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    Jim Morrical

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    • Can someone give details about where I find how to connect for the so-called serial nav data (GPS) necessary for my ELT GPS source? I believe it would be connected to to my Garmin GTX-345R Transponder some how.

A typical CubCrafters G3X installation has two GPS receivers, one in the ADS-B transponder and one in the GDU 465. The GDU 465 selects the one that it considers to be the best source. On power up the internal receiver is used but it quickly transitions to using the higher integrity ADS-B transponder source.

I don't know what position source CubCrafters uses for this transponder but, if no CubCrafters data is available, I'd consider connecting it to a spare GDU 465 RS-232 port. That way both GPS receivers are available to the ELT.

My FX-3 has a Kannad ELT so my installation details won't help you.

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    DSC02932.jpg
    Steve:
    Here is a picture of my installation.
    EV
    Just installed mine today on the FX3 on these brackets. Had to file down some ribs on the ELT plastic to avoid screwheads but otherwise it went right in after drilling new holes. Screws that came with the Artex threaded right into the existing brackets after drilling two more holes and over-sizing them slightly to match the existing ones.

Here is my setup.
    I mounted the Artex to the Amsafe inflator bracket that comes welded in place from the factory. It fit great. I redrilled the Artex mounting plate and had to grind away a bit of the Artex plastic reinforcing ribs where the mounting bolt heads are.
    I put the remote switch in the L header panel and the buzzer under the instrument panel.

David

IMG_7247.jpg

IMG_7248.jpg

IMG_7255.jpg

IMG_7253.jpg

So an EAA friend with lots of wiring experience helped me understand the GPS source wiring for my Artex 345. I've seen the Garmin Manual info but it was all 'Greek' to me. I am not to proud to say the manual uses concepts, terms and words I don't understand like this....'NMEA 0183 formatted GPS position data to an ELT, via an RS-232'. I appreciate the help here.

In simple terms I did use pin 41 on my G3X connector (G4602) and a solder sleeve to ground the shielded there to the backshell.

I think I've decided to mount the two wire switch for the Artex 345 ELT on the right header. Can someone tell me if I need to be concerned about clearance from the wing compression tube or anything else at the wing root? The place I'm looking at is forward of the little utility light at the front of the right header. I measured for clearance best I know, but I've not seen wings hung. I don't want to put a hole in the header and find it's in the way of something.

IMG_3089.jpg

XxlYRZKeSGyVNulhOJwGKA.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 08-04-2021 at 09:03 PM.
    Jim Morrical

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post

I think I've decided to mount the two wire switch for the Artex 345 ELT on the right header. Can someone tell me if I need to be concerned about clearance from the wing compression tube or anything else at the wing root? The place I'm looking at is forward of the little utility light at the front of the right header. I measured for clearance best I know, but I've not seen wings hung. I don't want to put a hole in the header and find it's in the way of something.

IMG_3089.jpg

XxlYRZKeSGyVNulhOJwGKA.jpg
    Yes, you need to be aware of the flap actuator movement. That does limit where you can cut a hole for the switch.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011