Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ELT Placement

Default Re: ELT Placement

My Artex 345 ELT is installed at the ArmSafe mount in the extended cargo area. My warning buzzer is mounted with the ELT. I'm using two wires of a three wire shielded cable to connect the remote switch on the instrument panel and the third wire is for serial nav data (GPS).

I do not understand how to ground this installation. I can use a solder sleeve to connect the cable shield at pin #7 of the 15 pin D-Sub connector, but do I also wire that pin to aircraft ground somehow? Or, is that pin #7 to the shield the only ground I need? I do not understand this.

Pin #9 is connected to the Serial Nav Date, but is the shield also to be grounded at the serial nav data connection? The diagram seems to show the shield is connected at both ends: the D-Sub connector and at the serial nav data. Is that correct understanding?

Stated another way: Do I ground the shield at the D-sub connector pin #7 and also to aircraft ground somehow and finally at the serial nav data connection???

The Artex manual shows this wire diagram.

Screen Shot 2020-02-23 at 5.01.19 PM.png
    Last edited by jmorrical; 02-24-2020 at 10:11 AM.
    Jim Morrical

Just checked out my ELT 345 installation. Using RS232 Tx Pin 40 of the G3X. NMEA signal. The ELT is not reading the position data correct. Failure comes up on ELT during self test with 5 times led flashing.
    I got from below forum that the ELT needs to be programmed a certain way to read the NMEA correct.
    https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/f...s-input.32594/

Is this true?
    Any experience with a programmer?

Tobi,

I had the same error initially. I purchased my Atrex from Aircraft Spruce and it came programmed incorrectly for the G3X. I had to send it back to Artex for reprograming.

David

My Artex 345 ELT is installed at the ArmSafe mount in the extended cargo area. My warning buzzer is also mounted there. I'm using a three wire shielded cable to connect to the remote switch and the serial nav data (GPS) in the cockpit.

• Do any of you have suggestions for the best place to mount the remote switch...pro and con? The instrument panel, a header or somewhere else? I've seen some info on the Forum long ago, but the 'Search' effort yields nothing for me now.
    • Can someone give details about where I find how to connect for the so-called serial nav data (GPS) necessary for my ELT GPS source? I wonder do I connect it to my Garmin GDU 465 G3X Touch or GTX-345R Transponder some how?

I know Pin #9 at the ELT D-Sub connector is for the Serial Nav Date, but I do not know where I connect it.

IMG_3069 2.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 10.59.44 PM.png
    Last edited by jmorrical; 01-11-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    Jim Morrical

I like the remote switch in the wing root panel on the door side. Mounted there the switch is readily available to either the pilot or a back seater.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by jmorrical View Post
    • Can someone give details about where I find how to connect for the so-called serial nav data (GPS) necessary for my ELT GPS source? I believe it would be connected to to my Garmin GTX-345R Transponder some how.

A typical CubCrafters G3X installation has two GPS receivers, one in the ADS-B transponder and one in the GDU 465. The GDU 465 selects the one that it considers to be the best source. On power up the internal receiver is used but it quickly transitions to using the higher integrity ADS-B transponder source.

I don't know what position source CubCrafters uses for this transponder but, if no CubCrafters data is available, I'd consider connecting it to a spare GDU 465 RS-232 port. That way both GPS receivers are available to the ELT.

My FX-3 has a Kannad ELT so my installation details won't help you.

So Andy, I build an RS-232 connector with that one wire coming from my ELT D-Sub connector Pin #9 and connect it to a G3X GDU 465 serial port?

What pin do I use at the G3X connector? Or can I program that pin some way with the G3X set up protocol?

Should I shield that single wire?
    Jim Morrical

So Andy, I build an RS-232 connector with that one wire coming from my ELT D-Sub connector Pin #9 and connect it to a G3X GDU 465 serial port?

What pin do I use at the G3X connector? Or can I program that pin some way with the G3X set up protocol?

Should I shield that single wire?

The G3X installation manual includes this:-

"2.1.1.22 Emergency Locator Transmitter (ELT)The G3X system can provide NMEA 0183 formatted GPS position data to an ELT, via an RS-232 output from a GDU display. In an installation with a GTN/GNS navigator, an RS-232 output from the IFR GPS using the “Aviation” data format may be preferred. For further ELT interface guidance, consult the ELT manufacturer."

In general terms aircraft RS-232 is normally wired with screened (shielded) twisted pair or screened twisted triple. Some installations use the shield as RS-232 signal ground (twisted pair) others use one of the twisted triple as ground. You only need to the GPS source transmitter so screened single may be appropriate. In my FX-3 GDU RS-232 port 5 was spare. This port uses pin 41 as data TX, pin 24 as data RX and backshell as signal reference.

RS-232 port characteristics are defined in the GDU 465 configuration menus.

If you are considering changing from the standard kit configuration I'd suggest downloading and studying the G3X installation manual - https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?pa...00&tab=manuals
    Last edited by Andy; 01-11-2021 at 04:25 PM.

So an EAA friend with lots of wiring experience helped me understand the GPS source wiring for my Artex 345. I've seen the Garmin Manual info but it was all 'Greek' to me. I am not to proud to say the manual uses concepts, terms and words I don't understand like this....'NMEA 0183 formatted GPS position data to an ELT, via an RS-232'. I appreciate the help here.

In simple terms I did use pin 41 on my G3X connector (G4602) and a solder sleeve to ground the shielded there to the backshell.

I think I've decided to mount the two wire switch for the Artex 345 ELT on the right header. Can someone tell me if I need to be concerned about clearance from the wing compression tube or anything else at the wing root? The place I'm looking at is forward of the little utility light at the front of the right header. I measured for clearance best I know, but I've not seen wings hung. I don't want to put a hole in the header and find it's in the way of something.

IMG_3089.jpg

XxlYRZKeSGyVNulhOJwGKA.jpg
    Last edited by jmorrical; 08-04-2021 at 09:03 PM.
    Jim Morrical

I think I've decided to mount the two wire switch for the Artex 345 ELT on the right header. Can someone tell me if I need to be concerned about clearance from the wing compression tube or anything else at the wing root? The place I'm looking at is forward of the little utility light at the front of the right header. I measured for clearance best I know, but I've not seen wings hung. I don't want to put a hole in the header and find it's in the way of something.

IMG_3089.jpg

XxlYRZKeSGyVNulhOJwGKA.jpg
    Yes, you need to be aware of the flap actuator movement. That does limit where you can cut a hole for the switch.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011