Thread: Ground adjustable prop on Titan 340CC?

Default Ground adjustable prop on Titan 340CC?

I'm thinking about getting a Carbon Cub SS and wonder if the Titan 340CC can be paired with a ground adjustable prop. I live in the flatlands and contemplate taking some long trips -- 500 to 1500 SM. So I'd sometimes be willing to trade off reduced T/O performance for improved cruise performance. Is this possible? Does this sound like it might be worthwhile?

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

Bill

Default Re: Ground adjustable prop on Titan 340CC?

Bill: I had that same plan once with a sport cub. After one or two trips...if found middle ground on the prop setting and never spent the (somewhat significant) time in readjusting the prop again. I have spoken with others and the outcome has been similar....perhaps you will be different. Some of these props, while ground adjustable, are difficult to balance...protractors, torque, etc involved. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Props are optimal at one pitch setting. So everything else is a compromise. Based on that I would avoid a ground adjustable prop. I think if you delve into this issue you will find the smart guys don't use them. Mike

I agree with the earlier posts regarding changing pitch for a trip. I do think that the Sensenich adjustable (Sport Cub) and the like are good props, but I would consider them adjustable to the one point you like them and then forget the feature. I switched to a Sensenich and compared to the fixed pitch my performance was much better. I suppose you could have the fixed pitch prop re-pitched a few times and arrive at the same place, but the adjustable was easy to arrive at the best balanced performance.
    Last edited by cityrancher; 03-06-2014 at 10:34 AM.

Super Moderator

Hi Bill,

The new 80" Catto prop we're putting on the CC-340 in 2014 is the third generation of that composite prop for CubCrafters. One feature of that prop is a significant improvement in cruise speed over the previous generation 78" Catto we were using last year. I have been seeing an increase of around 4-5 mph overall in typical cruise airspeed, without any noticeable loss in takeoff performance.

Sincerely,
    Last edited by Brad Damm; 03-06-2014 at 02:23 PM.
    Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313

I would use caution when considering alternative propellers, especially ones with low inertia. Propeller vibration can be an issue leading to blade failures. Catto and Cub Crafters carried out expensive tests to ensure the compatibility of the current propeller

Thanks all for the feedback. My enthusiasm for the idea is waning.

Bill