Thread: MyPanel© with Dynon Skyview 10"

Default MyPanel© with Dynon Skyview 10"

Excellent thread here discussing options for including Retina iPad Mini with Garmin Pilot in a new Carbon Cub. By background, I am signed up for Carbon Cub 316 with delivery May 29, 2014, so I have to make a decision soon about the panel. I have a 2010 CC with the Executive Panel which has been a good fit for the CC. But the technology in the current executive panel is currently at the end of its life, so I have been considering other options for a 2014 CC.

As a result of the thread I started about the new Garmin Pilot software several CC and CC EX owners have contacted me urging a fresh look at Dynon Skyview. Skyview appears to be a great glass panel with a wide variety of peripherals supporting most current technologies. A Skyview strength is that it provides the interface for all functionality: COM/NAV/Transponder/Autopilot all through the same panel through the same user interface. This provides a clean simple look for the CC panel. In the Carbon Cub there is no choice but to have a single 10" Skyview panel set up, so a strength for a clean installation becomes a weakness in the event of panel failure. If the panel fails there is no way to control all the various functions controlled by the panel.

With that in mind, I have been considering various options to include a single 10" Skyview panel while still retaining redundency in controlling other functions in the avionics. This is a paper shuffle exercise at this point as I am in California currently and my CC is in Washington, so my measurements are just approximate.

It appears that the configuration of the MyPanel option for the CC might be an excellent starting point to add a Dynon 10" Skyview display after delivery. The MyPanel is a $8,990 (3.3lb) option on the CC that includes a Trig TY91 VHF Radio, Trig TT21 Mode S(ADS out) XPDR, PM3000R Intercom and some basic engine gauges (RPM and Oil press/temp).

It appears the cut out panel is just barely big enough to accomodate the Dynon 10" panel. I need to confirm this with CubCrafters, but with some trimming of the existing cut out in the MyPanel it does appear the 10" panel will fit.

So one plan I am considering is to take delivery of CC316 with the MyPanel option. Then after delivery (it will be an ELSA) I will install the 10" SkyView Panel. Since the VHF Radio and the transponder will all ready be installed, the major challenge will be to install the Skyview Air Data, Attitude, Heading Reference ADAHRS Module in the left wing and the engine module and associated probes. If I elect this option I would see if CubCrafters could pre install the ADAHRS unit in the wing of CC316 before cover during construction which would really make the Skyview Panel installation post production much easier.

The neat thing about the Skyview panel is that the autopilot functionality is built in. All you need to activate an autopilot in a CC with Skyview is to install two $750 servos on the controls.

With the Skyview 10" panel built in and plugged into the engine module the two engine gauges (RPM and Oil temp/pressure) that come with the MyPanel option located on each side of the panel could be removed and repurposed for other
    functions.

Here is my "photoshop" rendering showing how this modification of the "MyPanel" option would look. Comments would be very welcome by everyone who has Skyview. I would be most interested to know if there is enough room in the behind that "MyPanel" panel to place the Skyview panel. It would be a very close fit with the adjoining instruments but it looks like it might work.

Last edited by turbopilot; 03-02-2014 at 08:27 AM.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: MyPanel© with Dynon Skyview 10"

Very interesting discussion. Sounds like you have thought it through very well. I am probably a year away from having to commit to a panel design but have given it quite a bit of thought.

Have you excluded the World VFR option due to the limitations of the 796 compared to the Dynon Skyview?

The Skyview at 10 3/8 x 7 1/8, is about 7/8" inch wider than the I pad, so it would appear that it should fit neatly in the space provided, as your illustration demonstrates. When removed from the front, it will give you a wonderful opening to access the back of the panel area.

You have already noted the need to install the ADHARS and engine monitoring kits. Should be easily accomplished. Perhaps both could be done by CC before it leaves the factor.

As you have noted, one could then remove a the tach and engine monitor gauges and replace with something else. ANother nice option.

It would be nice if a pair of Garmin GX3s could be placed in that space, but with a combined width of 12" I doubt it would fit.

Another option, particularly if you are partial to larger steam gauges: The World VFR panel, delete the 796, and replace it with a GX3. ADHARS, autopilot, engine monitoring, etc could be integrated providing the same function as the Dynon, although a smaller viewing area.

I am interested in seeing how you work this out. Interesting option.

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Have you excluded the World VFR option due to the limitations of the 796 compared to the Dynon Skyview?
    Not to the point of excluding any option yet. However, I really like having that real time wind vector available in the Carbon Cub. Does not look like there is any way to get that information short of a complete glass panel system. It all comes down to a trade off between cost, technology life cycle and feature set.

Technology life cycle is a very important considering in these systems.. For example the Dynon D-180, which is part of the current CubCrafter Executive Panel (I have it in my 2010 CC) was first introduced in 2005. This unit is very reliable and does it's job just fine in the Carbon Cub, but it is clearly at end of life technologically. The Dynon Skyview was first introduced in 2010, so it is currently pretty much mid life with extensive field experience and many software updates. No doubt there will be something new introduced into this market soon representing current technology but will suffer all the issues of any "Version 1" product with a heavy software component.

So it all comes down to feature set, cost and maturity. Looks like the folks at Dynon have really thought through these issues and made the Skyview system highly modular allowing for new technology to be introduced by swapping out modules rather than getting an entirely new system.

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    It would be nice if a pair of Garmin GX3s could be placed in that space, but with a combined width of 12" I doubt it would fit.
    We have a CC on my field with dual Garmin GX3s. Tight squeeze, and custom, but it fits. And I think others have done this with CCs as well. I personally would prefer Skyview because of the things Bob mentioned, tight integration and at a good place in its life cycle. But dual GX3s would be nice as well.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Hi Bob,
    Just finished up my install of an Advanced Flight Systems 5500 in my "MyPanel". Advanced is now part of Dynon and it uses the same ADAHRS that the Skyview uses. It was a very clean install and has been wonderful to fly with. You can easily customize the screen for your preferences and the box has amazing functionality. One more option to look at!

CC MyPanel with AFS 5500.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Hi Bob,
    Just finished up my install of an Advanced Flight Systems 5500 in my "MyPanel". Advanced is now part of Dynon and it uses the same ADAHRS that the Skyview uses. It was a very clean install and has been wonderful to fly with. You can easily customize the screen for your preferences and the box has amazing functionality. One more option to look at!

CC MyPanel with AFS 5500.jpg
    Thanks for the information. Nice looking panel. How does the AFS5500 compare to the Dynon Skyview? When one company takes over another that appears to be a direct competitor in a relatively small market, my first thought would be about which device has the future.

So far I can only find one comparison between the competitors from AFS here.

Hi Bob,
    I haven't flown with a Skyview but in looking at their webpage the functionality appears much the same. I was steered to the AFS by an AI that has done multiple installs of each and he liked the AFS better. His comments were that the AFS was more integrated with fewer boxes to mount and that their software was better. As you are aware Dynon bought Advanced just before Oshkosh last year so I think you will see the platforms migrate toward each other in the future so all his comments are dated. I had not used one before this (I am a Garmin guy in my certified airplane) and found it easy to set up and intuitive to use. I'm really enjoying the level of avionics available to the Experimental market, relatively cheap too! PM me if you have any specific questions I can answer for you.
    Jeff