Thread: NB00004 - No Wax??

Default NB00004 - No Wax??

Does anyone have an explanation for this recommendation? I thought most painted surfaces benefited being waxed.

Default Re: NB00004 - No Wax??

Waxes have the tendency of hindering future repairs if you have to apply a fabric patch. This is most commonly caused by the use of "modern" silicone based products. The silicone in the wax is very difficult and/or impossible to completely remove from the affected area, causing the fabric to not fully adhere when you go to patch it up. Those who choose to buck the advice anyway, should make 100% absolutely certain that the wax being used is pure carnauba with no additives whatsoever. With a good detergent cleaner this can then be more fully stripped from the finish if you or a future owner have to repair it.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay Hammond View Post
    Waxes have the tendency of hindering future repairs if you have to apply a fabric patch. This is most commonly caused by the use of "modern" silicone based products. The silicone in the wax is very difficult and/or impossible to completely remove from the affected area, causing the fabric to not fully adhere when you go to patch it up. Those who choose to buck the advice anyway, should make 100% absolutely certain that the wax being used is pure carnauba with no additives whatsoever. With a good detergent cleaner this can then be more fully stripped from the finish if you or a future owner have to repair it.
    Thanks Clay, I didn't consider this aspect. I was thinking that perhaps this was a broad based recommendation directed mainly to the fleet of "performance paint" aircraft and it was easier to make an "all" aircraft recommendation rather than specify performance paint vs poly paint. I certainly understand what you are saying, not too unlike the problem painters have with metal airplanes and excessive CorrosionX treatment.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

The other thing that can be problematic with wax on a performance paint scheme is the weave texture that is left with the polytone finish. Wax can get down in the weave pattern and over time will not look very good.

JM
    John Moreland
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Central Florida