Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In ear headsets

Default In ear headsets

I've been thinking of getting one of those Clarity Aloft in ear headsets? Does anyone have any experience with these in the carbon cub?

Default Re: In ear headsets

Hi Rick,
    I currently use Lightspeed Zulu in my EX, however I have a pair of Clarity aloft and will test them in the air in the next day or so and will report back on their performance.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    Hi Rick,
    I currently use Lightspeed Zulu in my EX, however I have a pair of Clarity aloft and will test them in the air in the next day or so and will report back on their performance.
    Bruce
    I've been using lightspeeds too, and I'm not too happy with them in my CC. I get a lot of drumming around the ear seals, or something. They are not very quiet as far as I'm concerned. I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you on these.

By the way, the sound level in the cockpit of my CC at 2150 rpm (80 hp level) is about 95 decibels according to a decibel meter app I've got in my cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    I've been using lightspeeds too, and I'm not too happy with them in my CC. I get a lot of drumming around the ear seals, or something. They are not very quiet as far as I'm concerned. I'll be looking forward to hearing back from you on these.

By the way, the sound level in the cockpit of my CC at 2150 rpm (80 hp level) is about 95 decibels according to a decibel meter app I've got in my cell phone.
    I'm curious Rick, which Lightspeed headsets are you using? I have an original ZULU with the Lemo plug on it and it works great. I also have an original ZULU with GA plugs on it and the battery on the cord and I get the drumming noise often when I turn my head and the ear cups shift a little. Seems to be worse when wearing a hat and/or sunglasses. The only difference is the power source on between the two headsets.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I'm curious Rick, which Lightspeed headsets are you using? I have an original ZULU with the Lemo plug on it and it works great. I also have an original ZULU with GA plugs on it and the battery on the cord and I get the drumming noise often when I turn my head and the ear cups shift a little. Seems to be worse when wearing a hat and/or sunglasses. The only difference is the power source on between the two headsets.
    Mine has the GA plugs and battery and that's when I get that drumming noise, too. If I mash them down on over my ears its goes away, but comes back when I release the pressure. No big deal, but bothersome.

Rick, my wife uses Clarity Aloft and she really likes them. From my end of the intercom she comes over better than any other headset we have tried. Originally had another type which were not so good.

I use Zulus, and I get a scraping noise like a gearbox out of oil at higher RPM. I think it comes from the roof vent, but the Zulus seem to amplify it. Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by pwill435 View Post
    Rick, my wife uses Clarity Aloft and she really likes them. From my end of the intercom she comes over better than any other headset we have tried. Originally had another type which were not so good.

I use Zulus, and I get a scraping noise like a gearbox out of oil at higher RPM. I think it comes from the roof vent, but the Zulus seem to amplify it. Paul.
    It always gets down to personal experience and taste with headsets. I have a Zulu.2 and no problems, great headset for me (Lemo plug). No funny noises, good noise canceling all the time. I also have a Clarity Aloft headset and don't like it. Just not comfortable for me, and poorer audio quality. But you could take a poll and get the opposite answer from lots of folks, so you really have to try it yourself.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

I had two Clarity Aloft mics fail on me. The failures were intermittent. The response from Clarity Aloft was not professional. I was suspect not well served. I ended up getting my money refunded. I still remember the condescending behavior of their office staff. I liked the lightness but I wound not touch that junk. Moreover, the attitude of the Clarity Aloft personnel is plain poor. Beware. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post

Hi Guys pretty sure Pete hit on the problem, as years ago when I first started with Zulus I too had the drumming. I eventually traced the problem to the sealing of the ear cups. If not sealed then at high noise that drumming noise happens as feedback from the external noise canceling mic fighting with the internal one. If you wear a hat make sure the brim is above the seals and if you wear glasses that do not have the thin flexible titanium type stems then wear the glasses stems above the ear cups and the bad noise will go away and the Zulus are tops! I have one limo and one regular plug and did not matter. Also found, at least to me, the fidelity of the blue tooth stereo hook up was much cleaner clearer in Zulus vs Bose. Gary
    Last edited by glickle; 02-25-2014 at 01:50 PM.

Gary, I concur. Yesterday I flew with different glasses and got the drumming noise big time. These glasses have the big plastic stems as opposed to my regular titanium's. I ripped them off and the drumming immediately stopped. Paul.