Thread: Horizontal stabs

Default Horizontal stabs

I was hard on my horizontal stabs last year. Most of the wounds came from landings on the river gravel bars. I put a GoPro out on the wing tiedown ring and aimed it back towards my mains to see when the rocks were flying. I was able to see that it occurs at touchdown and I think part of the reason is I get on the brakes immediately or even prior to touching. I'm going to change my technique a little and let the tires spin up first. But I'm not going to quit the off-airport fun.

IMG_1010.jpg

There's a bull moose in the center of this image.

IMG_1007.jpg

Here he is at river level.

IMG_0317.jpg

IMG_1075.jpg

So, last fall I called Vera and ordered a couple of spares with the intention of covering them this winter.

IMG_1351.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1387.jpg

They're finish sprayed in Insignia White Polytone now and masked for trim painting with Aerothane. I should have that finished this week.

Added a youtube link to landings with the GoPro. In the video you might notice some of my techniques and mods like the full swivel tail wheel, keeping the tail up until the end with brakes, full nose-down trim position when I've got any amount of flaps deployed, landing with full flaps and all take-offs with 2-notches. The tires are 31" and I really like the AOS lower struts. An improvement over Hydrasorbs.

I'm a novice with both the GoPro and more so with editing it so bear with my shortcomings. After this video last fall and my attempts at editing with the GoPro free software I lost interest and gave the camera to my son. He's off at college now and having lots of fun with it and snowboarding.

Last edited by Dan L; 02-17-2014 at 03:57 PM. Reason: added u-tube link
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: Horizontal stabs

Nice pics! Being able to complete such repairs on your own is a good benefit.

Dan unable to see the video it says private video
    EV

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    Dan unable to see the video it says private video
    EV
    EV, I know about as much about you tube as I know about editing these things - almost nothing. The first time I looked at it from this site it said the same to me; private. I went on you tube and logged in to see if there was some box I didn't click or something like that. I couldn't even find the video let alone some obscure setting. So I went back to the post above again and clicked it and everything worked fine. No more private video message and it played.

Maybe someone that knows more than me can explain this. Or maybe just click on it again and it will work for you like it did for me?

here is is the raw link
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_6ugIXgUusk
    Last edited by Dan L; 02-17-2014 at 07:48 PM.

I finished the trim on the stabs this week.

IMG_1390.jpg

Here they are painted and still masked. I like to support tail feathers vertically like this son both sides can get sprayed in the same session rather than laying them flat.

IMG_1391.jpg

This is Insignia White Polytone with Aerothane Dakota Black trim.

IMG_1388.jpg

I included a picture of my temporary spray booth for anyone who hasn't done this and thinks they need something more sophisticated. This is my shop at home and it has a 10' ceiling. I used lathe screwed to the ceiling to hold up the 6 mil plastic walls. This plastic comes in a 12' x 75' roll so that leave roughly 2' of extra on the floor. Cost for the plastic was about $60. I have a wall exhaust fan. The HVLP sprayer is outside of the booth and brings in fresh air to the breathing mask.

When I've worked on complete airplanes in this shop I made the booth area larger but for a small project like this it works fine.

And I found another video from last summer. My brother had just received a new GoPro and we made a quick attach to the strut that worked fairly well. He's riding in the backseat too so we're fairly heavy and a DA of 4000' plus. I did a little rough editing and uploaded to Youtube. This is the same gravel bar area as in the first video.

Dan,
    I'm going to be building some paint stands soon and looking for suggestions. How are your fins staying vertical on the hinge pins?
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA

Quote Originally Posted by stede52 View Post
    Dan,
    I'm going to be building some paint stands soon and looking for suggestions. How are your fins staying vertical on the hinge pins?
    It is pretty simple Steve. These are threaded rods bent at 90 degrees and slipped through the hinge. A nut on each side tightens up on the hinge and keeps it upright. It doesn't take much to hold then as light as they are and spraying with an HVLP system doesn't move them either.
    Last edited by Dan L; 04-17-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Spelling

I would have never thought that would hold them up, thanks for the tip
    Steve Dentz
    N419LD
    Carnation, WA