Thread: Cold Weather Operations in S2

Default Cold Weather Operations in S2

Does anyone have any advice on cold weather operations in an S2? I flew today with an outside air temp of 9 degrees F and only saw an oil temp of 111 degrees F. I've heard one recommendation advising wrapping the oil cooler in Al foil, anyone have any thoughts on this or other recommendations?

Default Re: Cold Weather Operations in S2

block off the cold air intake for oil cooler

Also make sure the cowl flaps are closed all the way. (if equipped)
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Hi Jeff,

Glad to hear that you are flying the S2 in the lovely weather that GRB has been having. I exchanged emails with your dad a while back and hope he is getting some tailwheel time in AZ.

I tried aluminum tape on the oil cooler of my Carbon Cub. It worked but then has to go on and off with weather. Search this forum for vernatherm. I just had one installed in Florida and am very pleased with it. It will be great for going back and forth between here and GRB.

Pat Rice

Have flown many hours in extreme cold in a S2...most of the summary is done. Tape on the oil filter, winterization kit for cabin, and the secret weapon. Battery operated heated motorcycle vests by Jett...if you turn those things up, you will sweat. Ralph in Montana
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Ralph, thanks for the feedback. I assume you are referring to the oil cooler, not the oil filter? Can you comment on how much of it you cover, i.e. 50%? What oil temperatures are you able to maintain? Finally, what tricks have you found for cabin winterization?
    Once again, thanks!
    Jeff

Poop.... sorry Jeff, of course the oil cooler....what happens when you check this forum just before you go to bed. I kept covering oil COOLER until I could get to 180F. CC sells a winter cabin sealing kit now, before that we experimented with bits and pieces of various door sealants where there were leaks. BTW...
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Thanks Ralph, I will also check out the cabin winterization kit from CC. It looks like winter may never end in Wisconsin thus year.

Still looking for the best way to keep the oil temp up in a Cub Crafters S2 during the winter. Taping over the oil cooler doesn't allow it to reach normal operating temps. Recently spoke with a Cirrus employee that said they use duct tape to partially close off the cowl openings in their new airplanes. A local mechanic said, don't use duct tape it's adhesive is to aggressive and may damage the paint. He advised using Gaffers tape. Does anyone have any experience w/ Gaffers tape?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Walch View Post
    Does anyone have any advice on cold weather operations in an S2? I flew today with an outside air temp of 9 degrees F and only saw an oil temp of 111 degrees F. I've heard one recommendation advising wrapping the oil cooler in Al foil, anyone have any thoughts on this or other recommendations?
    That's about right. Add 100-120 degrees to the air temp.