Thread: Chair flying info request

Default Chair flying info request

Sitting here in the East watching the snow fall, I'm playing around with AOPA`s FlyQ app. Would someone be kind enough to give me real-world TAS/Fuel flows for climb, cruise, and decent for the Sport Cub and Carbon Cub?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce

Default Re: Chair flying info request

It depends how the plane is flown. I have a hard time just flying course line at 8,500-9,500 feet MSL at about 2250 rpm lean of peak. But when I do it is about 5.3 gph at 100 mph TAS. That is a slightly conservative fuel burn-close to 5 gph. I like to fly at 1850 rpm at 100 feet AGL (5,000 MSL) at 3.7 gph at 75 mph TAS. When it averages out with playing around and trying to get some place I have about 5 gph at 85 mph TAS. I don't end up flying direct or maintaining altitude. I always land in unplanned places. So flight planning really depends on how much fun I want to have versus how "fast" I have to get there.

i do not bother with climb/descent fuel burn measures for planning. But those vary with rate of climb from 7-12 gph. So my numbers include those variables. Mike

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

Quote Originally Posted by Merlinspop View Post
    Sitting here in the East watching the snow fall, I'm playing around with AOPA`s FlyQ app. Would someone be kind enough to give me real-world TAS/Fuel flows for climb, cruise, and decent for the Sport Cub and Carbon Cub?

Thanks in advance.

Bruce
    When I flight plan for a SportCub, I use 5 gph and 100-105 mph (85-90kts) depending on the tires installed. If you want to be somewhat conservative, 5 1/2 gph works nicely.

For a CarbonCub, I will flight plan for the same speeds and use 8 gph. However, the attainable fuel burns for the CarbonCub can vary greatly with throttle discipline (or lack thereof) and leaning technique. With the CarbonCub, you could see fuel burns as low as 6 1/2 gph up to 9+ gph depending on your "need for speed" on any given day.

Hope this helps.

John M
    SWT Aviation
    CubCrafters Southeast CSC

Thank you both, John and Mike.