Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Battery

Default Best Battery

Kurt just finished his Carbon Cub EX and this is what he did for a starting battery. Here is his PM to me.
    Thanks Kurt

I am currently in the testing phase of a battery re-design for my Carbon Cub EX. I installed a 12 cell Lithium iron battery with a 10 second drain of 360 amps. I started the 180 HP engine perhaps 15 times with this battery. It never let me down, but a couple of times it was just barely OK. My solution was to install the second Lithium Iron battery. They are connected in parallel and they REALLY spin the 180 HP engine. Mitch has a 5 second video of me cranking the engine with the ignition breakers open. Each battery weighs 2.11 lbs for a total of well under 5 lbs.

I moved my ELT to the overhead bracket in the upper shelf baggage area and it gave me plenty of room under the seat to locate both batteries there. I have five hours on the two batteries and it is one of the strongest starting planes on the airport. Also, the batteries I am using are Moty Design batteries. The two batteries yield 720 amps for ten seconds, but it always starts in about two seconds. Hot or cold makes no difference. Any questions?

Kurt

Default Re: Best Battery

Pics? Cost? Supplier? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    Pics? Cost? Supplier? Thx.
    The web site for the batteries I have is: <motydesign.com> And the fellow that I worked with is Mr Brian Harris.
    the Batteries cost 185 bucks each and good pix are on the web site.

Good luck,

Kurt

Mitch, what do you think about using this battery in a Carbon Cub SS, S/N #178, in lieu of the PowerSport?

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Has anyone tried the EarthX EXT36C its the same Cranking amps as the Odyssey PC680 weighs 3.5 lbs and no special charger a little pricey well ok a lot pricey? $349.00 www.earthxmotorsports.com
    EV
    Last edited by EVRoosevelt; 11-03-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Time for an update on the two Moty batteries that I have turning my CC-340. There are 57 hrs on the batteries now and there has not been one glitch during the 57 hrs. You will remember that I have mounted them in parallel and total weight of the batteries is 4.22 lbs.

Kurt

EV: Those batteries have been getting good reviews from the Supercub folks. They are spendy... but include circuitry which prevents over charging and/or having the battery go completely dead....either of which is death on Lithium/Iron batteries. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Thanks Ralph the battery going dead and trashing the battery was what I was worried about. EV

Quote Originally Posted by EVRoosevelt View Post
    Has anyone tried the EarthX EXT36C its the same Cranking amps as the Odyssey PC680 weighs 3.5 lbs and no special charger a little pricey well ok a lot pricey? $349.00 www.earthxmotorsports.com
    EV
    Does this battery fit in the original CC battery box?

Carl

Carl:
    The dimensions of the EarthX battery are 6.9 in. length 34 in. wide and 6.1 in. high, I don't remember the size of the old battery box.
    EV