Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Landing method

Default Advice on Landing method

I need some advice from CC pilots. I have 500 hrs in a CESSNA 206, but only 20 hrs in the Carbon Cub SS. No previous tailwheel a/c.

What do you think of my target speeds, flap positions, ect? This is my current landing set up.

Pattern Height 1000' AGL, wind less than 5 mph

Downwind, 1,000'
    60 mph
    20 degrees flaps

Base 500'
    50 mph
    30 degrees flaps

Final 300'
    45 mph
    Full Flaps
    1250 rpm

Default Re: Advice on Landing method

Those sound like good numbers to me if I'm looking at GPS ground speeds in a no wind condition. My airspeed indicator is off quite a bit as I get slow. And that's at a DA of 3000' or so. I have no experience at sea level in my EX.

My my pattern height is more like 500' at our uncontrolled field.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

I take a simpler approach. On downwind I pull back power to drop the airspeed to 70, and than add full flaps. This takes the airspeed to about 50. Then I adjust power to maintain the glide path, and elevator/trim to slow down to about 40 on final (+ or -).
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I take a simpler approach. On downwind I pull back power to drop the airspeed to 70, and than add full flaps. This takes the airspeed to about 50. Then I adjust power to maintain the glide path, and elevator/trim to slow down to about 40 on final (+ or -).

I like this approach, thanks. I will try this and report back.

Calm wind firm surface. Down wind entry at 500 feet 70 mph. Pull power apply 15 degrees flap decelerate to 55 mph apply 50 flap when touchdown point is at 4 or 8 o'clock. Pitch and power 1200-1400 rpm to 42 mph through base to final turn. Established on final 36 mph into flair to ground effect decelerating to 32 or below. Once in ground effect power and pitch into stall warning horn and touch down tail wheel first with stick full aft. There will be no digital speed reading because it is too slow. Analogue speed will indicate about 20 mph. GPS will show about 30 mph. At touch down immediately dump flaps while braking with stick full aft.

Immediately after touchdown, do you keep some power in or go to idle?

I have been told to go to idle to get stopped. Others have told me a little power helps with directional control on roll out.

My my landing have been good until the roll out.

Based on your advice, I think part of my problem is my landing speed is too high, 45-50 mph.
    Last edited by Fresno; 12-08-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno View Post
    Immediately after touchdown, do you keep some power in or go to idle?

I have been told to go to idle to get stopped. Others have told me a little power helps with directional control on roll out.

My my landing have been good until the roll out.

Base on your advice, I think part of my problem is my landing speed is too high, 45-50 mph.
    I'm sure Not giving any advice with only 35 hrs in a CC, but you might like this video that shows the flap positions
    and air speeds I used landing. First is a wheel landing touch and go, followed by a three point full stop. In this
    case, I Close the throttle at touch down. Please note I showed the wrong flap "degrees" in the video, but I really
    was showing first notch, second notch and third notch positions. I've got about 3,500 in tail wheels, and find
    The CC to be Very honest, stable and straight forward in it's tail wheel handling characteristics. I have the
    Scott 2300 on mine.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LwMv3u8ac_c
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

My home field has lakes on both ends and ridges parallel to the runway on both sides. You just never know what the wind will do. Seldom straight down the runway. Because of this a little speed is nice. Seldom land with power unless I need a bit for the passenger. I find the level off height is key.

Usually 70 on downwind, 1000ft agl, two notches and 1500 rpm opposite the numbers, 60 base, and then according to conditions, full flaps and power idle and maybe a slip. We have 1900 ft runway and I usually use less than half unless there's sheer at the threshold and then I land towards the middle.

Sometimes I cut power opposite the numbers, full flaps and slip all the way around if I want to get down fast.

Conditions vary everywhere.

I think you have to find what works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Michael D
    N606RJ

Fresno: This is not advice but some ways I practice (1000 hrs plus in sport cubs and CCSS). Your speeds are higher than my landing speeds....I'm impressed you can keep it on the ground. Like Dan L, I'm in an uncontrolled sod airport so I practice weird landings constantly... Close in with slips from either side... trying to land on different wheels and hold it there, etc. Some really good advice I received long ago was to pick a cone or marker as your touch down spot and make each landing a spot landing at minimal speeds. After practicing slow flight at altitude, I try to fly the length of the strip with the stall horn going off just a few feet above the deck. Slow flight, slow flight, slow flight. All of these are tools we need if we fly off airport or in the back country....and having them greatly helps any landing.

When I just want to land and get home, like most I enter at cruise speed, cut power and lift the nose, slow down and add flaps. Without touching the trim in my airplane, it wants to fly 60 mph in the pattern with a gentle descent (I leave 12-1500 rpm). On final I add the remaining two notches of flaps reduce power further (I can use it to adjust touchdown point). My airplane wants to fly 40-45mph without touching trim over the fence. You will get to where you can feel ground effect in your butt before/as you flare...use a little power if necessary to hit your spot or slow the descent. My throttle is active with small movements during a landing.... it isn't "set it and forget it". I frequently still "dither" on the rudder as I did when a student...keep feet active. Dump flaps and power to zero on touchdown. I use almost no trim from cruise settings, and almost no brake on the home strip . These turn out as tail-low wheel-landings and have worked well.

There may be no one out there who has made as many landings in these things as Jim Richmond. Jim... care to describe your ... calm weather - just land...landing?

The best advice I ever got was..... BUY MORE AVGAS AND PRACTICE! Besides it is really enjoyable. The truly amazing thing about a SportCub/CarbonCub is that things happen slowly at 30-40mph, yet the plane responds quickly. It is honest and manageable.

"Your results may vary"
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Yes, definitely dump flaps. My particular thing is leveling off gradually at the right height and settling into a 3 pointer. I always manage to stay on the ground. Maintain control on final and ground effect in case of a gusty x- wind.

A slower wheel landing with power works as well. Just prefer to pull off a nice 3 pointer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Michael D
    N606RJ