Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice on Landing method

Default Re: Advice on Landing method

It just energy management. My cub would never make the runway full flaps 42IAS on down wind if the engine quits and at that speed and flap configuration I would feel I gave up all my energy. But the Pilot has to be confident is his approach that's important so what ever he is comfortable with is probably best for him.

I would suggest New cub pilots to find a good instructor and practice, fly every landing like an emergency when you have one it will just be another landing. Pick a spot!

Randy for what it worth I have always used a pretty steep approach and found Cubs don't want to 3 point especially solo if its to shallow of an approach, steep approach don't level off just bleed it all the way to touch down maybe something to try next time you 3 point and those were some great points about being outside the plane.
    Chuck

If the primary objective is to make the runway in the event of an engine failure any configuation will work with enough altitude. I don't worry about making it to the runway in the event of an engine failure as long as I have safe landing options. The CC for me is about landing were almost nobody else can, unless they are in a CC, so runways are the last place I have to land. At my airport I don't use the runways if I don't have to.

I think learning accurate dead sick landings is important. But, even for a student, once that is learned I don't think doing every landing dead stick is advisable because the most fun landings require power and would not be attempted dead stick. Those technical STOL places ultimately require more practice and skill (instruction) than dead stick landings.

For a student I think learning how to use power is more important than landing without power. Becoming reflexive with power is the key to correcting for errors. Once control becomes consistent and power use is moderately spontaneous then I think taking on dead stick landing practice is appropriate.

Mike

Has anyone tried easing the flaps off while rounding out? I have heard this is a good technique for short landings. Paul.

Paul: Since no one else has jumped on your question... I would not be particularly enthusiastic about dumping flaps in the flair because I want my left hand on the throttle at touchdown...I'm always ready to shut down...or get outta here. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    Paul: Since no one else has jumped on your question... I would not be particularly enthusiastic about dumping flaps in the flair because I want my left hand on the throttle at touchdown...I'm always ready to shut down...or get outta here. R
    Thanks Ralf. I agree with your comment, but when you think about it, it could be argued that getting rid of 1 or 2 notches of flap in the flare actually frees your left hand for the throttle at or just after touchdown making an abort easier.

It also raises the question: in an abort when full flap is set, do you go for throttle first or flaps? There is a tendency to ram the throttle too fast because the left hand has so much to do, and depending how strong you are, the flap lever loads up quickly and it may become an issue to get rid of the flap. Take-off performance with full flap is very poor.

You can see that method in Tailwheel 102 training DVD. The hard thing would be keeping things smooth and straight while handling the flap lever. Good brain coordination training though? I'm keen to try it when we get back flying.

Paul
    Last edited by pwill435; 12-14-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pwill435 View Post

It also raises the question: in an abort when full flap is set, do you go for throttle first or flaps?

Paul
    Always power first. Full power will yield some climb even if anemic. Then clean up the airplane. Just dumping flaps will not yield any climb.

regards, Carl

I"m late getting into this thread because I really don't have much to say about the best way to land my cub; 125 hours total in a tail wheel isn't enough to really allow me to tell anyone anything. But I can tell you there is one BIG piece of advice that's missing from all these comments and all this good advice.

GUMPS!!!!!!!!!!!! GUMPS!!!!!!!!!!!, GUMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you ever even think you might fly a retractable, figure out a spot on the panel of the CC, and make it an imaginary landing gear switch. Do the GUMPS check every time you land AND THROW THAT DARNED SWITCH, EVERY TIME!

Its very easy to get out of the GUMPS habit when you're learning to fly the carbon cub, shooting one landing after another. Then, when you get back into the old Commanche or Bonanza or whatever, guess what happens? And that's all I've got to say