Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: SA0009 progress

Default Re: SA0009 deployment progress

Quote Originally Posted by carlconti View Post
    Eric,

Thank you for the excellent update.

Since it may be several weeks before parts are shipped, is there any chance that an operating work around could be developed. It would be nice if we could fly our airplanes with some limitations while we wait for parts.

regards, Carl
    Carl,

Thank you for your kind words and support. It has been encouraging to see that the community has been so supportive of our efforts. Unfortunately, there is no quick solution to get you in the air. We are working long hours to come up with the final design.

Eric

Default Re: SA0009 progress

I note there appears to be two different designs of the bracket that will install on the hinge pin --- one that is installed in the pictures and the other displayed held in a hand.
    The installed part appears to move the center of the brace wire slightly closer to the center of rotation of the stablizer and allows more room for the elevators to rotate.
    Which one is the probable replacement part?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by seastar View Post
    I note there appears to be two different designs of the bracket that will install on the hinge pin --- one that is installed in the pictures and the other displayed held in a hand.
    The installed part appears to move the center of the brace wire slightly closer to the center of rotation of the stablizer and allows more room for the elevators to rotate.
    Which one is the probable replacement part?
    Bill
    Bill, there are actually a half dozen derivatives, and a few more were created yesterday after testing. We are iterating and testing like crazy and not where we want to be yet. Thanks for your patience.
    Randy Lervold

Keep up the great work and information Randy as very helpful. After dealing with everyone at CC since 2007 I am one who has total faith in all you guys to resolve this the best way and quickly. Standing by ready to fly when you announce the fix. Best Gary

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Bill, there are actually a half dozen derivatives, and a few more were created yesterday after testing. We are iterating and testing like crazy and not where we want to be yet. Thanks for your patience.
    OK Randy --
    I guess I won't go down to my machine shop today and make a knockoff of either design depicted. LOL
    Its snowing like crazy here so I couldn't fly today anyway.

As you might guess, we are all going crazy waiting.
    Pay no attention to me!
    Bill

I assume the reason engineering doesn't just go to the Top Cub, EX and PA-18 type tail feathers and wire system is because you want to develop a fix for the tail feathers for all of the existing Carbon Cubs out there without changing tail feathers also? There must be a million hours on PA-18's with that system.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Good news. Plenty of good flying weather still here in the mid Atlantic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Michael D
    N606RJ

I would like to give a short update with respect to SA009. Last Saturday we completed flight tests with the three options under consideration. The data from these tests is being analyzed. There are several criteria that drove us to these designs. First and foremost is to ensure that the loads in the wires are such that the problem will not repeat itself. Flight tests have included typical operations and a comprehensive series of maneuvers. The next consideration is that the modification can be installed safely- we know that many of you are excellent craftsmen and aircraft mechanics, but we do have to anticipate that someone with less than average skills is going to be doing the work. We also placed importance on producing a design that will be quick and relatively straightforward to install. Finally, and by no means less important, is that the kit can be manufactured quickly to ensure that our customers will be in the air as soon as possible. We are very grateful for your patience and understanding.

Please Santa all I want for Christmas is to be able to go flying in my Carbon Cub.

Thinking out loud here again. The reason that the tention doesn't change much is because as the front of the stab moves up it should tighten the top wire as the stab spar rotates the hinge down. But as the top wire is getting tighter the bottom wire is getting looser. Have you tried laying a 5' straight edge on the rear spar while running the trim up and down full range to see if the spar deflects in the area of the hinge/wire attach point? If the wire are staying close to the same tention then something is moving to allow that to happen.

The new style hinge bracket with the Piper style brass barrel and clevis will let the wire float on the hinge bracket so it doesn't get torqued like the old bracket did.

I hope Santa answers your wish.

Glenn
    Last edited by Cubdriver2; 12-10-2013 at 02:57 PM.