Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Gang

Default Hello Gang

Let me introduce myself. My name is Matt and I am from Madison, WI. I currently own and fly a Cherokee 180. My fiancé and I are currently building a new home with most importantly a very large garage/workshop that I hope to construct my first kit plane. Realizing that I am in the Carbon Cub arena here I am wondering if folks here compared the Carbon EX to the American Legend Super Legend? In terms of build quality, price, time of build and all the other factors, many of which are pretty scary for a first timer. The two window/doors open thing is pretty attractive over on the other side I must say. Thanks for you input guys!
    Last edited by duckguy; 11-25-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Default Re: Hello Gang

Matt

Thanks for your interest in the Carbon Cub EX. As you already know there are many differences between the Carbon Cub and the Legend Cub. I will address the Carbon Cub only. From the clean sheet design to the severe weight reduction program, all in all, producing a stronger aircraft. CubCrafters has been working with Cubs since 1980 and when we started the clean sheet design we were able to keep in mind the things that we liked and didn’t like about the Cub and design. This allowed us to produce a stronger, lighter, and easier to build Cub. I know the two doors are really attractive and when we did our design we wanted the two doors, but during the extensive testing of the fuselage we very quickly became aware that without the left side structure, the fuselage would not pass the required tests. Furthermore, when we did the testing on the Carbon Cub EX at 1865lbs. gross, we used the same testing procedure that we used for FAA certification of our Top Cub. I have a lot of first time builders that have completed their Carbon Cub EX's and within the 800 to 1000 hrs. Our customer support and extensive build manuals have made it easy to complete your aircraft. The Carbon Cub EX kit comes complete which leaves build time instead of spending time sourcing parts and hardware.

Thanks
    Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 11-26-2013 at 09:48 AM.

Matt

Although I am not a builder, I am getting ready to pick up my second CubCrafter aircraft (Carbon Cub). I have flown a Legend Cub quite a bit at our airport and have toured both factories. I will say that many RV builders have looked at the fit and finish of CC parts on my previous Sport Cub and they are impressed with the quality. One of the key items that is worth considering is the level of support that the manufacturer provides. I think that CC is superior on this part in both website support info and individual factory support.

Jon
    CC#293

Mitch, thanks for the response. I certainly believe the support and all is top notch. It was a little confusing finding info on the window thing. Can the CC take off, land and fly with the right side door and window open like I would in the J3 I occasionally fly?

Matt

The windows need to be closed on take off. Both windows and the door can be open up to 80mph.

Thanks
    Mitch
    Last edited by Mitch; 11-26-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    Matt

The windows need to be closed on take off. Both windows and the door can be open up to 70mph.

Thanks
    Mitch
    Hi Mitch,
    Why do the door and windows need to be closed on takeoff? Seems on a hot day you'd just leave them open rather than open them in flight.
    Thanks
    Jeff

and is this the same with the sport cub? Only on the CC due to the increased thrust of 180hp? It certainly is a bit of a cub experience killer.

There have been a couple other threads dealing with this requirement (Link). The issue stems more from airspeed and air pressure than engine horsepower, which means that this also applies to the Sport Cub. Section 2.19 Placards of your POH shows the limitation placard, located next to your window, which details this information. We tried to allow as much freedom in operation, while still rectifying the safety issues.

Service Instruction 25 for the CC11 also applies to this placard (LINK).
    Last edited by Adam Sloon; 11-27-2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added SI0025 link

You can, however remove the right upper door. It only has to be closed for takeoff it it is on the airplane to keep it from flapping around and breaking the frame.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

"One of the key items that is worth considering is the level of support that the manufacturer provides. I think that CC is superior on this part in both website support info and individual factory support."

Jon
    CC#293[/QUOTE]

Hey Matt, I'm building a CC Carbon Cub and agree with Jon, in fact I'd say ahead of price, fit and finish, etc. the most important thing you have to be certain of is builder support. I can tell you from first hand experience that working with CC and in particular the kit program manager, Mitch Travis, the support makes your build virtually as good as being right at the plant.
    Combine the printed manuals with updates on Dropbox, extra pictures from every phase of the build, hours of CC video footage, and then add in personal coaching from Mitch by phone, email and even FaceTime and I would argue there is NO ONE in the industry supporting their builders nearly as well as Cubcrafters.
    As for a comparison to the Legend, I made my decision to go with the Carbon Cub at Sun 'n Fun 2012 after comparing all the kits, and it came down to the Legend and the Carbon Cub EX. No question, the American product is good but I felt Cubcrafters came ahead in quality, fit and finish and generally the entire design of the aircraft. If I'd known back then what I know now about builder support, there wouldn't have been even a close second.
    If you have more questions, from a first time builders perspective, feel free to contact me.

Paul

Cirrus SR22
    CC Carbon Cub EX (450 hours into it :-)