Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine pre-heating

Default Engine pre-heating

I've got a CarbonCub and alternate between Wyoming and Seattle. How far down in temp does a engine pre-heater become a good idea? Any products you suggest?

Default Re: Engine pre-heating

Rob, with anything below freezing (32° F or 0° C) preheat is good idea. You'll need to consider sump and cylinder heating elements, the colder it is the more both are important. Give Stan a call at CCS for more info if you like.
    Randy Lervold

I have a Red Dragon pre heater which is 40 years old. 15 to 20 minutes, with a blanket over the cowl in the coldest temperatures, will lift the oil temperature needle off the pin. The output air temperature can be adjusted. I always make sure that I can hold my hand in the stream where it enters the lower cowl. As a side note, about ten years ago the pressure regulator bothered. I called the factory to get a regulator number. They requested that I send the unit back for a rebuild at no charge, and then paid the return freight. DON'T forget to turn the blower on before lighting the burner. That is the one way that I know of to cook the unit. Jake

I can give you a low cost alternative that has been working great for me. I put a shop light on a bucket and shine it up into the exhaust stacks. I cut two pieces of foam and put them in the front openings of the cowl. It wont make the engine as warm as a "real" heater but the needle is always off the peg on the oil temp gauge even when its 15 degrees outside. Better than nothing I figure. Total cost is roughly $20. I also put mine on a timer.
    Rich

http://store.cubcrafters.com/Reiff-E...pt_p_1221.html

We have this kit available for the Carbon Cub. It is what services installs and include the element for the oil cooler.
    We will also have some insulated cowling cover arriving this week. They hold the heat in while you are preheating, and they will keep the engine warmer during stop overs.

I also have the Wolverine elements in stock. They are a simple stick on element and are great for smaller engines. CCS uses them on our O-200 powered aircraft.

Updating these products with pictures and more info is on the list, stay tuned.

David

We have the Reiff system on our company EX. I have rolled it in the hanger covered in snow from OATs in the teens and the Reiff system has had the whole engine up to operating temp in an hour or two. The nice thing about that system vs a simple (automotive) wolverine pad on the sump is that there are thermostats that go on the sump as well and keeps the heater from overheating the oil and burning it.

Works great to plug the engine in a 30 minutes before you do an oil change too. Warms the oil up so it drains much quicker.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Cool Re: Engine pre-heating

I use the kit sold and installed by Cubcrafters. It works great here in cold Colorado.

Smile Re: Engine pre-heating

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I use the kit sold and installed by Cubcrafters. It works great here in cold Colorado.
    That's great news. Does it require an AP to install?

I used the bucket heat lamp method last night here in Seattle but in Alpine WY it gets very, very cold sometimes (as low as -15F). I better give Stan a call and get the ball rolling on a factory install. Nothing's too good for my Carbon Cub, especially the engine.

I like electricity. In the hangar it is simple and out in the backcountry almost as easy. I have Reiff bands on the cylinders and a pad on the sump. This is the little Honda EU1000 generator. Very quiet and trouble free.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011