Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: SA0009 Release

Default Re: SA0009 Release

I guess it is time to wait. Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the old Cub design and the new Sport Cub design? I have closely examined the tail wires on my Sport Cub (300 hours) and see no evidence of any problem. If it is metal fatigue I guess you would not necessarily see any warning. As I recall the old Cub original design is flat extrusions.

Can someone please post a picture of the part which failed......?

Since we are looking at a possible redesign, have a look at this old video on aerodynamics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftq8jTQ8ANE

see above
    Last edited by Joseph206; 11-24-2013 at 02:18 PM.

I also had an inflight top left wire failure at about 295 hours.

Can I assume that my plane #295 will be assembled with the fix in place. If not I will patiently await notification of the process.

I placed the order Sunday 11/24 through the website as instructed in the letter. It required a $1 credit card charge (no problem - just surprised as I know the part will ultimately be much more) then I received an email from Cub Crafters with the following message:

This email is a notification that your order has been placed On Hold. Please contact us for additional information about your order.

Thanks for using The Cub Store. .

I called the Cub Store this morning (11/25) at the number listed in the email (Phone: 1-800-484-7865
    store@cubcrafters.com) and got a recording asking for a four digit security code and then ultimately hangs up.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Quote Originally Posted by hfmranch View Post
    I placed the order Sunday 11/24 through the website as instructed in the letter. It required a $1 credit card charge (no problem - just surprised as I know the part will ultimately be much more) then I received an email from Cub Crafters with the following message:

This email is a notification that your order has been placed On Hold. Please contact us for additional information about your order.

Thanks for using The Cub Store. .

I called the Cub Store this morning (11/25) at the number listed in the email (Phone: 1-800-484-7865
    store@cubcrafters.com) and got a recording asking for a four digit security code and then ultimately hangs up.

Anyone else experiencing this?

That has been fixed. We have never used the "hold" option in our web store before and overlooked the auto email that it was set to send out. Your order has been processed and put in the queue. You may have received an additional email this morning, also automatic, telling you that we have received your SA0009 order and that we will keep you updated.

Question Re: can you provide details of pertinent flight phases? - SA0009 Release

from the release - "We have now analyzed enough data collected during these tests to conclude that in certain phases of flight the wires on the CC11 aircraft experience oscillations that induce high cyclical stresses in the wires."

Can you tell us what phases of flight aggravate the issue? I have noticed pitch oscillations in the control stick on approach at low power settings with full flaps in my 2009 (410hrs) Sport Cub; somewhere around 2-5Hz. I have always assumed this is due to vortex shedding off the flaps, but this frequency is probably close to the resonance frequency of the tail wires. Any correlation?

Also, since the wires have a cylindrical cross section, they are always going to oscillate at a frequency that is a function of the plane speed. It looks like these frequencies would be well above the resonance frequency of the wire, but cycles are accumulating either way. Can you provide some details of what you have found?

I

As disappointing as this is I applaud Cub Crafters for being proactive on this issue. This is a complete 180 from what I've experienced in the past with other manufacturers. Very refreshing to know safety trumps everything else. We'll all be climbing out at 2000 fpm before you know it!

David Morris
    N63PG