Thread: Sight tubes

Default Sight tubes

Its been discussed on the CC site before but I'm not sure what was determined for sure. I have no problem at the moment but wish my fuel sight tubes were clearer. Is there a method of changing them out for new that doesn't require major work? My plane is and has always been in a hangar but they are showing some coloration. Curious what new tubes will require work wise.
    Rich #82

Default Re: Sight tubes

As far as I know there has not been a material change that would make them react differently. I still don't know what makes some change faster than others unless there is some slight differences in the fuel from different suppliers. I have seen almost new ones turn darker really quickly that have been kept in the hanger and some that are years old and have been kept outside but look nearly new.

If it is annoying enough that you want to change them it is relatively simple to do. You have to drain pretty much all of the fuel out of the airplane, open the lower wing root panel outside each of the upper windows (these panels are typically removed on a condition inspection) and the sight gauge is held in by a hose clamp at the top and the bottom. Loosen the hose clamps, pull the old gauge out, trim the ends of the new gauge to match the length of the old one and re install with the existing hose clamps.

You could ask your mechanic to give you a quote next time it is in for a condition inspection. I don't think the gauge itself is very expensive.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks Pete.

It's doable, I've done it, but very close quarters there working inside the root. A set of small hands will come in handy.

I think I heard you say my wife should do it....... great, I'll tell her.
    Rich