Thread: High Sierra Backcountry Fly-in

Default High Sierra Backcountry Fly-in

I spent this last weekend flying with about ten pilots who were a small set of 62 planes camping on a dry lake near Yerrington, NV. The event was hosted by Kevin (aktahoe) from Backcountrypilot.org. The whole operation was simply first class. The weather was great. Too much fun. Highly recommended.

The group flying was excellent for skills building offering a wide range sites depending on ability. The opportunity to compare the Carbon Cub performance to Maules, Huskys, Cubs, 180s, Bear Hawks, etc. was a huge confidence booster. All the talk becomes pretty academic when you can physically compare performance in the field side by side. For challenging off field capability there was only one custom Super Cub clone that compared favorably with my Carbon Cub. Practically, this meant I could comfortably land and depart in locations where others struggled or did not attempt. I had the impression the Husky pilots, particularly, were not at all happy watching the Carbon Cub perform.

I heard about the Carbon Cub not being as fast in cruise a couple times. But the real game for me is who can land where. The Carbon Cub was flat superior in off field capability among factory built aircraft I saw at the fly-in.

Thanks to Cub Crafters for making such and outstanding aircraft.

Mike Bradford

Default Re: High Sierra Backcountry Fly-in

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Cub View Post
    The opportunity to compare the Carbon Cub performance to Maules, Huskys, Cubs, 180s, Bear Hawks, etc. was a huge confidence booster. All the talk becomes pretty academic when you can physically compare performance in the field side by side. For challenging off field capability there was only one custom Super Cub clone that compared favorably with my Carbon Cub. Practically, this meant I could comfortably land and depart in locations where others struggled or did not attempt. I had the impression the Husky pilots, particularly, were not at all happy watching the Carbon Cub perform.
    Great pirep Mike, thanks for taking the time to make it. You really hit the nail on the head there in a couple of regards!
    Randy Lervold