Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Vernatherm

Default Re: Vernatherm

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyroyce View Post
    Low oil pressure, restricted oil flow, blocked oil line to cooler? Has anyone ever experienced low oil pressure fluctuations ? I have just recently developed this after 175 hrs of normal oil pressure readings and am thinking I have restricted oil flow in the oil lines due to gunk or some foreign object. Or possible restricted flow to the oil pressure sensor is possible? Or restricted flow somewhere else in the system ?
    Anyone else have a issue like this ever and what did you find out?
    thanks, Royce Anderson
    CC 11-160-#328 N349W

This is why most airplanes have a mechanical oil pressure gauge. It doesn't mislead you.

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    I think it is cold air hitting the area on the top of the cooler. It is a large area and will definitely cool from the air passing over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My EX-2 oil temps are only running about 160 with 2/3’s of the cooler blocked off even in summer months. Has anyone else seen this or come up with a way to insulate the top of the oil cooler. I’ve verified that the CGR-30 indications and the oil pan temps are about the same.
    Thanks, Tom R

I have always had low oil temps on my EX. Per the earlier messages in this thread, i built a cooler shutter which when closed will bring the temps to 180 plus in summer. The most significant factor is how hard you run the engine. Running at 2400 rpm will easily bring your temp to 180 and more with cooler wide open in summer. If you loaf along at 1900 rpm the engine runs very cool. A lot better problem than dealing with high temps. I had to put two coolers on my pitts years ago!

Loafing along at 2000 RPM on a warm summer day oil temp runs around 160.

With over 100 hours everything works well, there is not tell tale moisture sludge under the oil cap or in the oil, so it would seem it is getting warm enough.

I remain convinced that the temp sensor is in a location where it picks up some oil that passes through the cooler even when the vernatherm is closed ( my understanding is it never closes completly, some oil always is permitted to pass). Therefore the temp reading will always be a bit cooler than what the engine is seeing on its working parts. ( I sure would like to see a detailed drawing of the oil routing ).

Bottom line, as long at the needle is in the 'green' zone, I am not going to get overly concerned. However, in cold conditions I will continue to cover the oil cooler intake with aluminum tape and cover the cowl vents with masking tape, until something more elegant is fabricated to plug those two holes.

Hi Dan...i am revisiting my heat on the carbon cub ex. I installed the shutter some time ago same as yours. Taped off the vents. Still running 160s here in vt. Do have a vernatherm. Wanted to revisit your experience of warmer temp with shutter open. Did you ever figure out why that was happening? Have you ever tried restricting the air coming into the big cowl air inlet. My 185 blocked off most of it. Appreciate any new knowledge you may have. Kevin

I got the above message from Kevin in my email through the CC Forum but it doesn't show up in my PM Inbox. So I decided to answer it this way.

I have been running with the cooler shutter mostly in the open position. We haven't had much cold weather this winter and my temps have been acceptable. But starting last winter I've been blocking off the two cowl openings in the top of the cowl that allows air to flow over the cooler and down behind the engine. I used pipe insulation and split it roughly in half and poked the sections into the cowl slots. It isn't pretty but it works and they stay in place. And they seem to keep the oil temperature warmer. I see consistent 170's.

I have not blocked off either of the cylinder-cooling plenum openings. I'd be afraid that could cause cylinder damage.

IMG_9021.jpg

Showing the foam.

IMG_1924.jpg

The first winter I used duct tape
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Thanks Dan

Interesting Dan. I have 100% taped off the oil cooler and can get to 160/170 temps with a OAT of 29F.

I have also taped off the front 1.5 inches of cylinder #1. I could not get CHT above 300F on #1. With this I can get 320F on #1 with a 40F spread between all cylinders.

Plane is an EX-2.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

I have found a 3o degree difference with the oil temp on my efis versus using a temp gun to measure the heat at oil cooler. This was after shutdown with hot engine. There is no difference with cold engine. As i have been running temps of 150ish on 20 degree days, this would seem to indicate that i am actually running at temps of 180 ish.
    Has anybody else seen this. I keep being told that a vdo oil temp sender doesnt fail.
    Would appreciate any advice and or experience anybody has.

I have not measured the difference as you have but some difference in temps between the cooler and EFIS is not surprising.

My oil temp sensor is on the case under the oil filter. The oil cooler should be the 'hot' oil from the engine before returning back to the case. So I would expect a difference, but what the difference should be I cannot say.
    Dan Arnold
    KEUL

Today I flew in -5 temps with the oil shutter in the open position. My oil temperature was in the 170s. For a short period I closed the shutter - no air at all flowing through the cooler and the oil temperature dropped about 5 degrees. Again, opposite of what makes sense.

Blocking off the two scoops and stopping the airflow over the top of the cooler seems to make the most difference in my EX.

C09B85D8-332F-49CC-9382-D2FAB9DF6C1F.jpg

It was as cold as it looks.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011