Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Vernatherm

Default Re: Vernatherm

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    I was out today to see what blocking the upper inlets would do. Rose the oil temp significantly as I expected. You want hot oil, block them too. I now have to take some tape of the oil cooler anything above -10c.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for posting. Were you running at a higher power setting than what's shown in the pic (44%)? The oil temp definitely went up - even at that low power. I'll give it a whirl (tape my upper inlet) as well and see what it does in mine. CHTs look cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gderamel View Post
    Thanks for posting. Were you running at a higher power setting than what's shown in the pic (44%)? The oil temp definitely went up - even at that low power. I'll give it a whirl (tape my upper inlet) as well and see what it does in mine. CHTs look cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I was running at 55% and it kept climbing. Stopped at 203. Went I pulled back it went to 200. If it had kept climbing above 210 I would have landed in a field and took some tape off. Air on the ground was -18c and -9c at 1000ft. With that Taped and the flap like Dan has, the flap should give more temp change. Dan give it a try and let us know.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyBranch View Post
    With that Taped and the flap like Dan has, the flap should give more temp change. Dan give it a try and let us know.
    I did give it a test today.

image.jpg

I taped off the two inlets with white duct tape. I may make an insert out of some black kydex I have.

image.jpg

I took off in about 15 degree temps on skis and climbed up at 2400 rpm. My oil temp got into the low 170s and stayed there even at much reduced power settings. I would say it raised the average oil temp by about 10 degrees. But it wouldn't get any hotter than that. At my flight altitude the outside air temp was in the low teens.

Again the hottest temperatures I saw were with the shutter in the open position. Closing the shutter would reduce the oil temp by about 10 degrees.

Someone had had asked earlier about the knob to open and close the shutter. It can be seen in the lower left part of the image to the left of the primer.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Really weird about the temp changing opposite with the shutter open vs closed. I have no explanation on what is doing that.
    My guess on my temps getting hotter is because the cooler is 100% sealed with foil tape. Your white tape looks better that the green I am using

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have been following this thread as always a winter problem in Vermont. Am going to install the shutter Dan came up with. Good idea to also tape off the cowl inlet. Will report back especially if see same weird results as Dan.
    A friend of mine cuts panels and did the shutter for me. If anyone is interested, I'll put you in touch with him. Kevin
    Attached Images Attached Images

[QUOTE=kevino;17486]Have been following this thread as always a winter problem in Vermont. Am going to install the shutter Dan came up with. Good idea to also tape off the cowl inlet. Will report back especially if see same weird results as Dan.
    A friend of mine cuts panels and did the shutter for me. If anyone is interested, I'll put you in touch with him. Kevin[/QU

I assembled my own motor & had Barrett engines in Tulsa dyno it. We run it 3 hours with 94 degree ambient air temp. oil temp never got to 160 degrees. Doubted that the vernatherm ever opened. however CC now takes the oil temps from a different location on the accessory housing. Still a few months away from flight testing to see how it works in the airplane.

Quote Originally Posted by kevino View Post
    Have been following this thread as always a winter problem in Vermont. Am going to install the shutter Dan came up with. Good idea to also tape off the cowl inlet. Will report back especially if see same weird results as Dan.
    A friend of mine cuts panels and did the shutter for me. If anyone is interested, I'll put you in touch with him. Kevin
    Looks good Kevin. My only other comment is that the truss head screws might be pushed into the oil cooler and dent it. I used 100 degree flat heads here and countersunk the plate.

I will be interested in hearing how it works for you.

Could the very cold air coming in through the top vents account for the low oil temps even when the front of the cooler is blocked? Would seem so, since blocking the vents brings the temps up.

Perhaps the adjustable oil cooler cover should be placed on both the front and rear sides?

i wonder if just placing it on the back side would help. The air hitting it from the front may be warmed slightly by the engine, but the air hitting it from the back through those top vents is not.

Actual air flow through the cooler may not be that critical if the cooler is setting in air that is around ten degrees and passing by at 100 mph.

It it would be interesting to see what affect blocking off just the back of the cooler might have leaving the top cowl vents open.

Chuck

Yes the screws will be flat heads. Probably won't install for a week or two.
    I intially taped off just back of cooler. Not very effective.

Quote Originally Posted by ceslaw View Post
    Could the very cold air coming in through the top vents account for the low oil temps even when the front of the cooler is blocked? Would seem so, since blocking the vents brings the temps

Chuck
    Chuck, that is what I tried in post 43. I taped the scoops shut and that raised the overall oil temp by about 10 degrees. But the oil was still hotter with the shutter open.
    Last edited by Dan L; 01-02-2017 at 06:00 PM.