Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Vernatherm

Default Re: Vernatherm

There is always more than one way to skin a cat. Or install a vernatherm if you will.

The majority of the planes we deal with have some type of electric oil pressure gauge so the probe just has one wire on it. No boron tube to mess up.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Made my first flight today with my Vernatherm installed. Outside temp. was 43F. Took approx. 10 minutes to warm the oil into the green after start-up. Oil temp. climbed steadily after take-off to 178F. Only flew for about 20 minutes but the oil temp. stayed between 174 and 180. I've never seen it that hot. I flew last Sunday with the outside temp. 50F and the oil temp. never got out of the 130's. My oil pressure is running a little higher. 76 at 2050 RPMS. 77 at 2300 RPM's.

David Morris

Made my first long flight after Vernatherm install-MLB to PGD and return- today. Temperature of the oil on the steam gauge held steady at 170 degrees. On the Skyview it was 182 to 185 degrees. The difference is due to probe location differences.

Carl

On my last Carbon Cub, the Vernatherm held the oil temperature about 175 degrees year round. On current CC, the temp stays in the 155-160 range. Is there an adjustment to have the temp run higher? I know you can block off the oil cooler but wondering if the vernatherm is working correctly.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by carlconti View Post
    I finally installed the Vernatherm I had bought a while ago. What a difference! The engine now warms up to the green arc on the taxi. After take off it warms to about 180 degrees by the time I am at 1000 agl and stays there.
    Where are you purchasing the vernatherm? Would you post a part number too?

Quote Originally Posted by gderamel View Post
    Where are you purchasing the vernatherm? Would you post a part number too?
    Mine was factory installed when built. The part number from the CC store is AEL19600.

http://store.cubcrafters.com/Vernath...44_p_1209.html

Jon

As another data point, I had the same experience with #122 and now #307. CCS is helping me diagnose but might just have to tape off 80-90% of oil cooler during cold months.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by txcub View Post
    On my last Carbon Cub, the Vernatherm held the oil temperature about 175 degrees year round. On current CC, the temp stays in the 155-160 range. Is there an adjustment to have the temp run higher? I know you can block off the oil cooler but wondering if the vernatherm is working correctly.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    There is always more than one way to skin a cat. Or install a vernatherm if you will.

The majority of the planes we deal with have some type of electric oil pressure gauge so the probe just has one wire on it. No boron tube to mess up.

Pete

Are there any specs as to what temperature range the installed vernatherm should keep the oil temp at without having to tape over the oil cooler?

Jon
    CC #333

I installed a vernatherm on my O340 a few hundred hours ago. For a while it would hold the oil temp at 165-175. Now it is about 155 maximum. I suspect that wear or debris is letting some oil get by and into the cooler. And this is with 50% of the cooler blocked off.

I am working on a sliding shutter to go in front of the cooler. And it'll be operated by a push/pull cable next to the carb heat cable on the panel. It is mostly done and I'll post pictures and offer a performance report when I've used it a bit.

If others are interested I've got it in SolidWorks and have .pdf drawings.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Update: Taped off 100% of oil cooler and on my flight back to Boise from Yakima (OAT 7 degrees at 5500 ft) and I saw oil temps in the 160s. Cowl flaps fully closed.

Andrew