Thread: SL40 Intercom setup

Default SL40 Intercom setup

I finally got my 2006 Sports Cub and would like thoughts on the best Intercom setup. I have a Garmin SL40 with a push button on the panel which activates the intercom. As you can guess this is not the best setup for a checkout - instructor shouts what's your airspeed on short finals and I use my 3rd hand to press the switch ;-)

I checked out the install manual and the switch just pulls a pin to ground which activates the intercom. So a quick fix would be change the switch to a toggle so the intercom would be on during training - what does everyone think ?

For a a long term change do i need to install a separate intercom ? - after googling SL40 lots of feedback suggests the intercom is not the best. Or the new Garmin GTR-200 radio and take the chance the built in intercom is better.

Robert
    PS or do nothing and not be disturbed by the passengers or wind noise opening the squelch ;-)

Default Re: SL40 Intercom setup

The intercom PTT is not factory. That must have been installed by a previous owner. From the factory it would have been wired such that wire was grounded all the time. Like you found in your research, this is a less than ideal situation. You get a lot of noise in the cockpit. The SL40 intercom (like the PM1200 and other low end intercoms) opens both mikes with either pilot speaks so you get twice the noise into the system. Also there is little to no squelch adjustment.

The top of the line way to go would be to put a PM3000 intercom in but all the wiring up to the headset jacks would need to be reworked as it is a stereo intercom and you would need to find room in the panel for it. This is the intercom that is in the Executive glass panel and I have not heard any complaints on it. It comes in a 2/24" round head or a slim sqaure mounting that is pretty easy to find a spot for.

PS Engineering has also come out with a PM3000R (remote mount) intercom that is supposed to be just as good as a PM3000 in performance but with the remote mounting advantages that the PM1200 has. I have not had an opportunity to try one yet but if it performs as advertised it will be my new favorite.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Pete,

Thanks for the information. Correct the SL40 and other avionics were installed by the original owner not the factory.,
    I flew a Tiger Moth with a similar configuration but a toggle switch - we used to switch the intercom off on climb out when engine noise was at a maximum and the squelch useless, in cruise we would switch the intercom on. It worked well. This type of cockpit env is always a challenge for the intercom.

Any ideas if the newer radios from Garmin (GTR-200) or PS Engineering (PAR200) have better built in intercoms or is a standalone the way to go. Like you my concern was the challenge of getting all the existing wires to the right place for a standalone intercom.

Robert
    PS few other squawks to resolve but otherwise so far so good

The new PM3000R is the exact same unit as the regular PM3000 and what I'd recommend. As Pete indicated though you'd need to replace the wiring to the headset jacks with stereo wires, not a huge thing for someone qualified.
    Randy Lervold