Thread: Dynon Heading Calibration

Default Dynon Heading Calibration

My Dynon in the CC is about 15-20 degrees off on the magnetic
    heading. Following the Magnetic Compass Calibration instructions in the Installation
    Manual, I find I must first get the "Magnetic Inclination and Intensity"
    of the airport that I'm at to do a calibration. Since our government is on paid vacation,
    the only NOAA web site that Dynon tells you to go to is closed! I have used the
    manual adjust to get the heading closer to correct, but it would be nice
    to try a proper calibration. Anyone know the [INCLINATION and TOTAL FIELD]
    numbers for KTRM (Thermal, CA.) ? Even the local avionics guys and Dynon customer
    support don't know it!

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Y; 10-15-2013 at 06:26 AM.
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Default Re: Dynon Heading Calibration

First a political comment. Turning off these government web sites is just plain wrong. They are just rubbing it in. Very passive agressive by the Executive Branch of our government. As long as there is electricity the servers can keep running for static information.

That being said you can get pretty close to the right heading by putting in the same information form any plane in your area, then do the calibration again when the information is available.

Here is a post about the calibration. Like you my plane came from the factory not calibrated. Hard to believe they are still not doing it before delivery.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Great help Bob! We will give it the tail up calibration method along with checking level just as soon as the government gets back to work so we can get the correct numbers! I am seeing the same East wind velocity and direction errors as you did too.

Steve

Smile Re: Dynon Heading Calibration

Bob ( Turbopilot)-

Your recommendations worked perfect! Now the wind velocity and direction are right on, along with the heading display!
    First: Calibrated Pitch ( it was 12 degrees off) by flying and setting pitch to Zero at 110 mph indicated.
    Second: Obtained location Inclination and Total Field from NOAA site for my airport LAT/LONG.
    Third: All radios and lights on and tail up to cruz pitch, utilized Calibration procedure from book. N/E/S/W.

Thanks Very much for the help !

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Steve Y; 10-23-2013 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    Bob ( Turbopilot)-

Your recommendations worked perfect! Now the wind velocity and direction are right on, along with the heading display!
    First: Calibrated Pitch ( it was 12 degrees off) by flying and setting pitch to Zero at 120 mph indicated.
    Second: Obtained location Inclination and Total Field from NOAA site for my airport LAT/LONG.
    Third: All radios and lights on and tail up to cruz pitch, utilized Calibration procedure from book. N/E/S/W.

Thanks Very much for the help !

Steve
    Great. I should be down in La Quinta off and on this winter. Still trying to sell hangar A5 over at Thermal Aviation. I will look for you out at Thermal.

My CC is resting up in the San Juan Islands this winter.

Just wanted to let you guys know, we have been in contact with Kirk Kleinholz, Avionics Sales Manager at Dynon, on this issue this week. We had another recent airplane where this came up and we are working through it at the factory with Dynon. Incidentally, I did find out that Dynon calibrates the actual remote compass unit in all 3 axes.

Quick update:
    I just spoke with Paul Dunscomb, VP of Engineering at Dynon. He informed me that Dynon is conducting some base-line testing to try to establish the source of the problem. Based on their findings, they may be making a trip here to the factory for some additional testing. The end in view is to determine whether the problem stems from hardware manufacturing or bench calibration variances or whether Dynon needs to change the calibration procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Delamarter View Post
    Quick update:
    I just spoke with Paul Dunscomb, VP of Engineering at Dynon. He informed me that Dynon is conducting some base-line testing to try to establish the source of the problem.
    Jon, which problem are you talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    Jon, which problem are you talking about?
    I'm referring to the tendency of some airplanes to not calibrate well in heading unless the calibration is performed with the tail up in flight attitude. Dynon's current calibration procedure (which we perform on every plane we build) instructs us to calibrate tail down.

Update: Dynon has provided Cub Crafters with a Release Candidate software update for the D180 that they believe will fix the issue. We are installing and testing this update today on an aircraft that has the problem. As soon as we have the results, I will post another update.

Thanks for your patience!