Thread: Electronic ignition question

Default Electronic ignition question

Does anyone have any experience with the Ameritech Electroair ignition system on an O-200? I like the idea of a conventional back up mag as well as electronic and their system looks like a good fit. Any input would be appreciated.

Super Moderator

Default Re: Electronic ignition question

You might contact our dealer in Oregon, Bob Stark, at Twin Oaks Airpark. He is putting that (or maybe a similar) system on his rental fleet of Cessna's. His contact information:

Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Damm View Post
    You might contact our dealer in Oregon, Bob Stark, at Twin Oaks Airpark. He is putting that (or maybe a similar) system on his rental fleet of Cessna's. His contact information:

Or, you can go with the Lightspeed system like we use on the Carbon Cub. I have been considering offering them for ELSA sport cub owners. Claus from Lightspeed Ignition did a great seminar on his products at Oshkosh this year. In his experience, eliminating one magneto is no more reliable than having both. The weak point of the engine is the mag shafts and associated drive gears in the accessory case. It is better to eliminate them all together and go 100% electronic rather the keep one mag.
    If one electronic fails, you have the other (and a warning light) if the mag drive fails, you have an engine full of metal.

The Villages, FL (06FD, Grass Roots Airpark)

I am liking the LightSpeed alternative.

Any idea of the cost to retrofit an O-200A in a SportCub?

JM

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
    I am liking the LightSpeed alternative.

Any idea of the cost to retrofit an O-200A in a SportCub?

JM
    Not quite.

There are two ways to go about getting one. The first would be bringing your aircraft to Yakima and having Stan and his guys install it. The second would be to call Klaus http://www.lightspeedengineering.com/ and talk to him about the system, and then have it installed by your mechanic.

I would love to be able to offer these to ELSA Sport Cub owners, but until we have installed one ourselves here in Yakima I am hesitant to sell one directly to you, offer them in our web store. I am confident the system is a good one, but until services has first hand experience with the system on an 0200, they would have no way of offering support. I do not want to sell engine products we can not intelligently support over the phone.

If you would like to talk about having us do the install, let me know david.bingham@cubcrafters.com and I will put it in motion.

David

Turns out Pete Dougherty has done a single Lightspeed on a SportCub here before. Looks like we may be doing a dual install on a customer's plane soon. We'll keep you posted...
    Last edited by Jon Delamarter; 10-09-2013 at 01:38 PM.

Any updates on this install, single or both? Thanks.

Andrew

Unfortunately, the install we had planned fell through. We wound up selling the system to a local guy for the O-200 on his homebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by jasimmons View Post
    Any updates on this install, single or both? Thanks.

Andrew