Thread: Aux Power Socket

Default Aux Power Socket

I would like to change how my auxiliary power socket is wired. Currently it is wired to be hot all the time. I would like to have it changed so that it is switched by the Master. My reason for doing this is I have a Delorme inReach. I have changed my subscription service to their aviation service which allows me to select automatic tracking when the unit is powered up. I have the optional external power adapter that plugs into a 12v power socket.
    Any suggestions on how to do this (if it can be done legally) that I can pass on to my AP? Does this require an STC? My S2 is registered as an ELSA if that matters.
    Thanks
    Alex
    Alex Bell

Default Re: Aux Power Socket

Hi, Alex;

Because your airplane is an ELSA, you, as the owner, can (literally) do anything you want to with it without a factory "Letter of Authorization" (LOA). What you are suggesting should be easy for your A&P to accomplish. I'll help you with wiring help if you need it. Keep me posted.

Pete, has this been done on a Sport Cub? How best do we direct my customer in making this change?

Thanks,

Chip Allen

SWT Aviation, Inc.
    Cubcrafters Southeast Sales Center
    Marietta, GA

Thanks, Chip.
    Alex
    Alex Bell

Quote Originally Posted by jalexbell View Post
    I would like to change how my auxiliary power socket is wired. Currently it is wired to be hot all the time. I would like to have it changed so that it is switched by the Master. My reason for doing this is I have a Delorme inReach. I have changed my subscription service to their aviation service which allows me to select automatic tracking when the unit is powered up. I have the optional external power adapter that plugs into a 12v power socket.
    Any suggestions on how to do this (if it can be done legally) that I can pass on to my AP? Does this require an STC? My S2 is registered as an ELSA if that matters.
    Thanks
    Alex
    Alex,

Circuit diagram is in the maintenance manual. Based on my CC11-160, it is in section 5-13. It's probably in a similar location for the Sport Cub. I would recommend connecting to the output of the avionics switch. That way it would be off with either the master or avionics switch off.

Best regards,

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by chipallen View Post
    Hi, Alex;

Because your airplane is an ELSA, you, as the owner, can (literally) do anything you want to with it without a factory "Letter of Authorization" (LOA). What you are suggesting should be easy for your A&P to accomplish. I'll help you with wiring help if you need it. Keep me posted.

Pete, has this been done on a Sport Cub? How best do we direct my customer in making this change?

Thanks,

I have wired them both ways per customer requests. The easiest way to get it retrofitted would be to disconnect the wire with the fuse in it from the battery and move that connection point to the switched side of the master solenoid under the seat base. That would involve the least amount of messing around with the wiring and allow you to work on the most accessible part as well.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    I have wired them both ways per customer requests. The easiest way to get it retrofitted would be to disconnect the wire with the fuse in it from the battery and move that connection point to the switched side of the master solenoid under the seat base. That would involve the least amount of messing around with the wiring and allow you to work on the most accessible part as well.

Pete,
    That sounds like the way to go. Thank you.
    Alex
    Alex Bell