Thread: ECI Possible Cylinder AD

Default ECI Possible Cylinder AD

I'm dismayed to read about a possible ECI Cylinder AD that would slam an overly expensive burden
    on owners and most likely kill ECI. Only knowing what AvWeb reported, I am wondering if this
    proposed AD would effect owners of the CC 340 as installed in our Carbon Cubs?

"Avweb reported last Monday, the FAA has proposed a complex AD that would divide more than 60,000 cylinder assemblies into two groups. Group A—nearly 34,000 cylinders—would have to be removed from service (within 25 hours) if they had, on the effective date of the AD, fewer than 500 hours or more than 1,000 hours. The Group B cylinders would have to be removed from service if they had more than 1,000 operating hours. The AD would also require repetitive visual inspections for cracks, compression checks and leak checks for Group A cylinders between 500 and 1,000 hours and Group B cylinder with fewer than 1,000 hours until they’re removed from service."

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Overhaul-Shops-Mixed-Reaction-to-Massive-ECI-Cylinder-AD220443-
    1.html

Steve
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Default Re: ECI Possible Cylinder AD

Are our cylinders a unique part number? Maybe there's hope.

Regards, Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    ......most likely kill ECI.
    Steve
    This may be the biggest risk for Carbon Cub owners. Hard to see how any company could survive this kind of storm. I guess that is what Chapter 11 is for.
    Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

The AD is proposed for Continental engines from what I have read, models 550, 520 and possibly 470 with the applicable ECi cylinders installed. Sounds like this AD is being issued by shock cooling and pilot mismanagement of engine temperatures. This AD shouldn't effect any cubs unless they are going to include some ECi lycoming cylinders as well.

I agree, at least now the proposed AD is directed at large bore Continental engines. I have little fear that it will affect our engines, but the loss of ECi itself would be a tough blow to CubCrafters in producing this engine which seems to be working so well. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Quote Originally Posted by Centmont View Post
    I agree, at least now the proposed AD is directed at large bore Continental engines. I have little fear that it will affect our engines, but the loss of ECi itself would be a tough blow to CubCrafters in producing this engine which seems to be working so well. R
    From what I now read, agreed...Thanks.

The FAA proposed an Airworthiness Directive (AD) to limit the allowable time-in-service of more than 30,000 TITAN brand 520- and 550-series cylinder assemblies installed on about 6,000 Continental IO-520, TSIO-520, IO-550 and IOF-550 engines. The proposed AD affects a broad serial number range of cylinder assemblies (p/n AEC631397), and would require that these cylinders be removed from service at 1,000 hours time-in-service. In addition, about half the affected cylinders would be required to be removed from service within 25 hours if their time-in-service is less than 500 hours. Cylinders permitted to continue in service would be subject to repetitive 50-hour inspections until they are retired. The FAA estimates cost of compliance to be $82,620,000. - See more at: http://www.eci.aero/pages/news_relea....FrfgHYgD.dpuf
    XCub: CCX-2300-0011
    SPOT X TRACKING: https://maps.findmespot.com/s/09SL

Just confirming that this proposed AD does not apply to our cylinders. Note that it is a proposed AD only at this point in the NPRM phase.

Unfortunately there are politics involved here -- Continental's cylinders are identical in terms of both design and metallurgy yet they are not being included. I can't go into the details of this here but it involves FAA personalities and IMHO is being applied unfairly by excluding Continental.
    Randy Lervold