Thread: Hero3 solid mount vs rubber mount

Default Hero3 solid mount vs rubber mount

Like many others, I have been experimenting with mounting techniques on the Carbon Cub. I started with an nFlight solid mount. It has many virtues, including great versatility. If you choose modest power levels while filming it works well. On my CC it produces lots of jello at cruise power settings.

My next attempt was a rubber mount with lots of rubber attached to the tie down fitting under the wing. It was great at high power settings, but awful at low power.

Third try was a version of the second with much less flexibility. This one, while not absolutely perfect, yields excellent results across almost all power settings. It's good enough that I will stick with it while playing with camera settings.

The pictures included show the nFlight mount under the right wing (location copied from Gary Lickle's post). Sadly, my CC seems to vibrate more than Gary's. The other picture is the mount on the left wing I will stick with for a while. I will also try the nFlight in other locations.

See this video for a comparison between the nFlight and the final rubber mount.

http://youtu.be/2iN5Dk1R7G8

The rubber mount was very inexpensive as I used old inner tube cutouts, a 1/4 inch long piece of flexible fuel line, mounting pieces that came with the Hero3, and a tripod mount purchased for less than $8. Also fender washers, bolt, nuts etc. The safety wire shown in the picture is to prevent disaster in case of slippage upward. It is isolated from the flexing portion of the mount by the 1/4 inch long 1/4 inch ID fuel line which is on the 1/4-20 bolt between the washers. Another nice feature of this mount is that each axis can be individually adjusted without disturbing the other axes. Also it can be tuned by inserting more rubber disks and/or adjusting the self locking nut.

nFlight solid mount.jpgrubber mount.jpg
    Last edited by carlconti; 08-07-2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: change video link

Default Re: Hero3 solid mount vs rubber mount

Thanks Carl. I've been looking for a simple system like this. And it looks like your rubber mount is working very well. I'll give something like this a try too.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dan L View Post
    Thanks Carl. I've been looking for a simple system like this. And it looks like your rubber mount is working very well. I'll give something like this a try too.
    Dan,
    Let me know how it works out. Don't forget the 1/4" id flexible fuel line to isolate the bolt from the safety wire.
    Carl

Carl, I made a very similar mount. Rather than the tripod mount adaptor like you used I drilled a hole in one oh the furnished receptacles for the slide-in clip mount. I then used a #10 flat head screw through that and also tied it together with fender washers and a couple of rubber garden hose washers.

The hose washers are too small in OD though and I'll see if I can find or made a larger substitute.

The first video turned out well. I need to edit and I'll post.

Are you using the widest field of view?

I like that with the clip mount I can reverse the camera and look towards the tail. I'm flinging rocks into my tail feathers and I'd like to see if they're coming from landings, tires, take offs or taxing with power.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Dan,

Looks good. I have been using the medium wide angle lately at 720/60. Keeps the edit time down. However, I like to experiment.

Carl