Thread: San Juan Islands Northwest WA 4th of July 2013

Default San Juan Islands Northwest WA 4th of July 2013

One of the (many) benefits of working for CubCrafters is a Sport Cub S2 that the employees have access to rent. I took the airplane up to the San Juan Islands with my full sized road bike in the back. I wasn't sure it would fit until I went to load up for the trip but with both wheels removed and the rear seat in the airplane stowed it fit perfect. Frame goes in upside down, handle bars aft and sitting on the floor of the baggage and the seat sits just below and on the floor about where the removable bar for the rear seat is. I did put a rear stick cover in. The wheels sit on either side of the frame, a blanket in between everything keeps it from rubbing. The rear seat seat belt went right through the frame and it wasn't going anywhere.

20130703_154901.jpg
    The Sport Cub and the pile of camping/biking/flying gear for 4 nights.

20130703_164659.jpg
    Ready to taxi, still lots of room left in the back.

20130703_174515.jpg
    Mt Rainier to the S as I crossed Snoqualimie pass (I90) to the west side.

20130704_204653.jpg
    Home sweet home for the next 4 nights. Eastsound airport, Orcas Island

20130706_123925.jpg
    I could sit under the wing and watch airplanes coming and going. This is a biplane that hops rides based at Eastsound (Orcas Island)

20130707_123321.jpg
    Stopped at Lopez Island for a few hours of biking on the way home Sunday.

20130707_162036.jpg
    Everything unloaded again in Yakima. I will be taking the bike along on more Cub trips for sure. It is the perfect combination of transportation. I had a lot of people wonder where I put the bike in the plane.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thumbs up Re: San Juan Islands Northwest WA 4th of July 2013

Pete!
    That is totally awesome! I have been thinking I would have to get some kind of foldable bike to use in my CC.... knowing my normal mountain bike will fit is great. Ill have to see if I can get the rear tire off, especially with the gears, etc. Ive never tried it, but Im sure its not that hard! Thx for the tip.....

GREAT pictures! Now us AZ folks are jealous of you WA folks...its an inferno down here now.....

Rick

Default Re: San Juan Islands Northwest WA 4th of July 2013

I have not tried my mountain bike. Might have to put it in a bit differently or do something with the handle bars. My Specialized Allez road bike has handle bars just under 19" wide measured outside to outside. The baggage compartment across the floor at the back is about 19 1/2".

Eastern WA and western WA are two completely different climates. Yakima was 95 degrees and probably less than 10% humidity when I got back. Western WA was maybe 75 for the high and much much higher humidity, especially up in the SJI with a nice light sea breeze a lot of the time.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Nice work Pete! Didn't know a full road bike would fit but sure glad it does!

Andrew

"Back in the day" our family would bike the San Juans frequently and we especially liked the Canadian San Juans. Off the ferry, find the local pub, set up camp at a hiker/biker site or the pub, ride the island, eat/drink at the pub...repeat! Endless vistas, great sea kayaking, good cheap (in those days) food, tasty beer, and friendly folks. We pulled into one pub one evening thinking they were having a car show because every car was spotless, and 30 years old. Nope, just the locals out in the cars they have owned for the life of the vehicle. Ill bet they still own them. If you need a place to land, I have a friend who lives close to the ferry and has a sod strip on the Skagit (sp?). We park and ride from the ferry to his place when we would make these trips. Thinking of them is enough to make me want to get skinny and in shape again. Thanks for the report. R
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Pete- Stop... Your making me Very Jealous as I wait for my new machine.
    Looks like great fun, and bringing the bike is a great idea for us one manned Cubs!
    All kidding aside, Nicely shot pics !

( Glued to the Pre-Cover Cam waiting for #283 to show up? )

Steve