Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: GoPro camera mounting techniques

Default GoPro camera mounting techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Really nice Bob, thanks! I flew the San Juans years ago, and landed at Roache Harbor - this remnds me how beautiful it is.

How did you get a low vibration camera wing mount?

Chuck
    You know the problem. So many vibration modes in the CC. I am still experimenting with mounting solutions. For sure you cannot screw any kind of camera to the aircraft structure directly. It has to be isolated as best as possible.

This video was shot with my "latest mistake" for a mount. The entire scene was shot at or below 60 mph. We are working with a few retired engineers here on the island to come up with some kind of stabilized, isolated mount to fit a wide variety of camera types. If you have any ideas please join in.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Default Re: The Joy of the Carbon Cub

Quote Originally Posted by turbopilot View Post
    You know the problem. So many vibration modes in the CC. I am still experimenting with mounting solutions. For sure you cannot screw any kind of camera to the aircraft structure directly. It has to be isolated as best as possible.

If you have any ideas please join in.
    I couldn't come up with a picture of my most effective mount - but it did not work especially well. Same as yours, mounted on the tie down ring. I used a pair of pretty good rubber vibration mounts that I thought were in the best orientation. Ran out of time and haven't gotten back to it. The problem, you want to keep the overall size and weight pretty small, but good isolation depends on quite a bit of weight (inertia); so I need some more creative thinking. It may get down to something dynamic, but I'd try that inside the cockpit before I went outside.
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Super Moderator

photo (2).JPG

With regard to the camera mounting, I went a little simpler and just used two fender washers, one with a thin layer of rubberized cork glued to it to protect the camera body. Seems to work, and not much vibration.
    Brad Damm - Vice President of Sales and Marketing
    CubCrafters - Yakima, Washington
    Office: (509) 248-9491
    Cell: (509) 961-2313

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Damm View Post

With regard to the camera mounting, I went a little simpler and just used two fender washers, one with a thin layer of rubberized cork glued to it to protect the camera body. Seems to work, and not much vibration.
    I get high vibration with a mount like that. I wonder if a prop balance would help?
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I get high vibration with a mount like that. I wonder if a prop balance would help?
    It might be worth checking out.

All the wing shots in this video were with the mount I pictured and the results aren't bad. There are some higher power setting wing shots (climbing out) at around 1:04, and then normal to low power starting at about 4:54 (pattern to landing).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOZfJ7t6rwI

That video is remarkably smooth for a hard mounted camera in the CC. Many folks have flown my CC with experience in a variety of CC's. They have remarked how smooth my CC seems to run yet at cruise and above RPM's I got the "jello" effect with a hard mount. I am working with a variety of vibration dampening ideas. Will post if anything works.

All, Here is what I am using from Nflight their billet mopunt (link below) and not only works great no vibration but for a very small window of rpm which I can feel so stay away from that setting. Its anaodized so great for water ops and actually screws onto the standard thread of the strut bolts and other cool locations on a CC. Its a bit pricey but does the trick for Go Pro cameras. For those who want a more budget based approach try the Nflight Iphone adapter and use Imovie. Your video can be filmed and edited all on the Iphone no other equipment needed. Best Gary

http://nflightcam.com/

Here is a test of the new GoPro Hero 3. This shot was taken at 1080, 60 fps and 127 degrees field of view with a new wing mounted mount.

Video itself is rock solid with no jello. The air was cold with strong sun warming so there was a bunch of turbulence which accounts for the wing rocking in the video.

You need a fast internet connection to view this video at full resolution. Depending on your internet connection you may have to manually select 1080 on YouTube to see full resolution of this video. YouTube automatically senses your internet speed and will select a lower resolution if it thinks your connection will not support 1080 in real time. YouTube will also "downshift" resolution on the fly if it senses your internet speed as declined and cannot keep up with real time 1080 viewing.

More details on the mount later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OefUFVcdTBgf
    Last edited by turbopilot; 05-24-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Super Moderator

Looks great, I will be interested to see the mount details.

That does look great! A photo or two of the mount would be very interesting.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc