Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: GoPro camera mounting techniques

Default Re: The Joy of the Carbon Cub

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Dont get me wrong here as sure do love all the engineering and thought being put into this but until then here is a solution and I am using it with excellent results. Best Gary
    Gary, you must have a very smooth running Carbon Cub. I cannot get any quality video with a single point mount on the GoPro 3 in my CC.

Several of us are trying to find a mount that can be used with the GoPro 3. This GoPro has the Sony IMX117 chip which can produce video quality far better than any HD cable or satellite source you may see on your TV. As a matter of fact it can produce stunning 4K video at low frame rates. So this little camera can produce video quality that can rival professional video equipment costing more the 10X what a GoPro3 costs.

In order to get that video quality you need a camera mount that produces no vibration in the camera. Not easy in a Carbon Cub. My most recent mount offers two more important features in addition to vibration dampening. When shooting 1080, 60fps, using ProTune, the GoPro 3 will exhaust the battery in under 30 minutes, so my latest mount has room to mount an extra battery for the GoPro 3. Also with a wing mount near the wing tip, the camera can now shoot a 170 degree field of view video without any part of the airframe in view (including the prop).

So this whole effort is aimed at producing professional quality HD video from the Carbon Cub. Up to now the only camera that could produce these results aloft is the CineFlex V14D which only costs $500,000 flying under a $5,000,000 helicopter. Results so far are getting close to this standard.

Bob Anderson, CC11-00435, N94RA

Hi Bob, Maybe I do have a smooth runner maybe lucky don't know but definitley am getting just amazing video and still shots running a Go Pro 3 on the Hard mount Nflight . I am running at 1080 60 fps and that seems pretty good and same setting I use on the Phantom DJI quadcopter and seems to reduce any jello to nil. I also control the Go Pro 3 with my Iphone app which allows you to see what you are shooting but even better turns camera on and off from the cockpit so I get a full flight usually on one battery. Keep em coming as everyone should be able to have this amazing tech and you are right at an amazing price. Best Gary

Gary-

Would you have any pics of which end bolt locations you are using ? My new CC is due for delivery in Sept. and I would love to use my Hero3 Black with WiFi remote on it. I just didn't clearly grasp how it worked with the end bolts?

Thanks
    (I know, I'm a little slow)

Steve
    N122YY

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Y View Post
    Gary-

Would you have any pics of which end bolt locations you are using ? My new CC is due for delivery in Sept. and I would love to use my Hero3 Black with WiFi remote on it. I just didn't clearly grasp how it worked with the end bolts?

Thanks
    (I know, I'm a little slow)

Steve
    N122YY
    Sure Steve here you go! Go Pro that is! I also have the a mount studs in several other spots on the Cub which allows very quick reloacation of the camera and you can be very creative but this picture will give you the idea. . Best Garygo pro mount.jpg

Thanks Gary- Like Bob stated, I have had vibration problems when using the RAM Mounts attached direct to airframe.
    I see you have what appears to be the NFlight prop blur filter on, and I would think any shooting that one does which does Not incompass the prop, you would remove it, since it only serves to reduce shutter speed ?
    You might like to see some of my J3 videos, and I have found that people seem to like the videos I shoot using the head band mount the most, rather than fixed wing mounts! Seems like folks want to be in the cockpit with you.
    I'm shooting at 1080p @ 60fps, ProTune On, using CineForm and iMove.

Video Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...dGDtHHgj1u83Id

Ordered the NFlight mount, but also Waiting for Bobs Carbon wing mount....

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Y; 06-27-2013 at 07:31 AM.

Thanks Gary- Like Bob stated, I have had vibration problems when using the RAM Mounts attached direct to airframe.
    I see you have what appears to be the NFlight prop blur filter on, and I would think any shooting that one does which does Not incompass the prop, you would remove it, since it only serves to reduce shutter speed ?
    You might like to see some of my J3 videos, and I have found that people seem to like the videos I shoot using the head band mount the most, rather than fixed wing mounts! Seems like folks want to be in the cockpit with you.
    I'm shooting at 1080p @ 60fps, ProTune On, using CineForm and iMove.

Video Playlist: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...dGDtHHgj1u83Id

Waiting for Bobs Carbon wing mount....

Steve
    Wow Steve now I connected the dots as I saw your stuff on You Tube earlier but was not aware it was you in the forum beautiful! Yes you are correct do not use the prop filter if not shooting a prop. I persaonlly find having a part of the plane in the frame seems to be cool. I will check out Pro Tune as have not been aware of that so thanks for the tip and agree 60FPS is the best setting I just find 1080 too large a file ( time and data use) to download and edit but definatley a bit more quality. I must just be lucky like Bob says and have an extra smooth running plane as I only get some minor Jello with the Nflight mount at one rpm which I just avoid or edit out. I will post a few vidoes when I can as am traveling on business for a while now. best Gary

... and I have found that people seem to like the videos I shoot using the head band mount the most, rather than fixed wing mounts! Seems like folks want to be in the cockpit with you.
    Steve
    I'm one of them. I like "flying" videos much more than "scenery" videos, and flying videos include seeing the pilot flying. But that's just me.

I enjoyed your videos on the J3 page, Steve. Looking forward to your Carbon Cub videos here!

Bruce

I am continuing to refine my mount as well as getting into post processing of the video coming out of the GoPro 3. Here is the latest version of my wing mount. I have now inclosed the GoPro 3 waterproof mount (with many modifications) into the carbon fiber wing mount. So the GoPro 3 water proof mount is now isolated from the wing mount with 1/2" of Sorbothane top and bottom.

Last night I took the first test flight with this mount modification.
    This video was shot 1080, 60 frames per second, 127 degree field of view, ProTune on, then post processed with CineForm. Throughout the entire range of RPM there was no "jello" and just a hint of vibration on take off roll which dampened out once airborne. In order to see this video at it's best, click the YouTube link to go to the YouTube web site, then you need a fast internet connection, set YouTube for 1080, then go full screen. Video will render at much lower resolution if YouTube senses you have a slow connection. This video was shot last night at Roche Harbor Airport.

Note the harbor at the resort. We have a bit of a crowd for the 4th of July.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaTfB...86832647268781

Default Re: GoPro camera mounting techniques

Bob,
    very nice mount! I read with interest, your description of eliminating the "jello" affect of the GoPro video. Im a vey new GoPro 3 user, but the word "jello" totally describes the annoying affect that I saw on my first few videos taken from my CarbonCub.
    What is that "jello" bouncing around? Are the settings you chose, 60 fps and 127 degrees, the important factor? Or is it enabling ProTune? And what is CineForm? Ive been using the default video editor on my Mac, and its not very satisfactory.

I heard that turning on ProTune is done thru some menu settings? How does that work?

Thx, Rick
    Last edited by Rick Bosshardt; 07-08-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Default Re: GoPro camera mounting techniques

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Bosshardt View Post
    Bob,
    very nice mount! I read with interest, your description of eliminating the "jello" affect of the GoPro video. Im a vey new GoPro 3 user, but the word "jello" totally describes the annoying affect that I saw on my first few videos taken from my CarbonCub.
    What is that "jello" bouncing around? Are the settings you chose, 60 fps and 127 degrees, the important factor? Or is it enabling ProTune? And what is CineForm? Ive been using the default video editor on my Mac, and its not very satisfactory.

I heard that turning on ProTune is done thru some menu settings? How does that work?
    Rick, I have the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. There are differences between the editions which can get very confusing for the new owner. The GoPro 3 Black is a very sophisticated little camera with many advanced features to create absolutely spectacular video. The Go Pro 3 Black can create video with resolutions higher than most computers or home TV's. So a little of the complexity goes away when you decide where and how you are going to view the output of the camera.

Here are links to a couple of good resources to understand the camera.

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

http://abekislevitz.com/understandin...-gopro-part-2/

Shooting high quality video from a Carbon Cub is very challenging because of the vibration. I have not been able to get satisfactory video from a GoPro camera using any of the commercially available mounts in the Carbon Cub. So if you want great video you will have to make a custom mount until someone develops and sells a better mount.

Running the camera at 60 fps will minimize the jello. The problem is that running the GoPro 3 Black at high resolution and frame rates will create very big files, run the battery down very quickly and most importantly heat the camera to the point it may shut down. Stuffing the GoPro 3 Black into an water tight case then running the little camera at high resolution and frame rates creates a hot box.

Initially I was flying the GoPro 3 "naked" without the case. Then I reworked my custom mount to allow the water proof case to be used. That is when I ran into overheating problems running at high resolutions and frame rates. So now I am back to using a skeleton case to let the 100 mph wind cool the camera. I recommend you get the backpack battery. You will need it.

Using ProTune options is something you might want to hold till you get more experience. Camera does very well with on the fly processing of video. ProTune is a nice enhancement when you solve all the other problems.