Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: proper leaning, premiun auto gas in an emergency

Default Re: proper leaning, premiun auto gas in an emergency

Has anyone out there tryed to operate LOP using the new "world VFR" panel. The EI instrument in this panel is supposed to have this feature but I haven't figured it out yet. It is super easy to do with the DYNON .
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rowdyroyce View Post
    Has anyone out there tryed to operate LOP using the new "world VFR" panel. The EI instrument in this panel is supposed to have this feature but I haven't figured it out yet. It is super easy to do with the DYNON .
    Thanks
    Royce, the Operating Instructions Handbook for the CGR30-P has a reference to LOP operations on page 14, section 2.5.4. I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for. A call to Tyler Speed at Electronics International may be worth while. Are you happy overall with the World VFR panel? I'll be taking delivery soon of #321 set up with this panel. Any comments on the Trig avionics? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    ...Lastly, good job Rick on the fuel management judgment call -- better safe than in a mountain canyon dead somewhere because you "thought you could make it". With time you'll judgment will improve in forecasting range...
    Amen. Most pilots I know think that the FAA minimum fuel reserve of 30 minutes at cruise power day and 45 minutes night is not enough. It is legal, once having taken off with the 30 minute daytime reserve, to watch it dwindle to nothing due to unexpected conditions. Right.

Three of my experiences. . .

Shortly after getting my commercial, I flew a Cessna 150 4.1 hours and landed with about three gallons left, half a gallon of which was usable in all flight attitudes. I was holding my breath the last thirty minutes. I realized that wasn't too bright. After some consideration, my personal rule is an hour reserve day and night. If flight conditions, unexpected winds, etc., drop it to 30 minutes, it is time to stop and get more fuel to bring my reserve back up to at least one hour.

One go-around at full power can use a bunch of cruise power fuel. I once did two go-arounds trying to get into an airport with one paved runway after a frontal passage. The wind was a varying 90 degree gusty, burbling over the ridge, cross wind. The dirt crosswind runway was unusable due to rain preceding the frontal passage. I went to a nearby airport which was downwind with several runways.

Another time, I was headed for an airport with weather which required the ILS for landing. About an hour out, I was given holding instructions; there was a disabled airplane on the runway and the airport was closed until it got cleared.

Bottom line, things can cause unexpected delays in landing. Reserve fuel on board provides alternatives. As the number of alternatives decreases, one can find oneself painted into a corner.

FWIW and YMMV. Have fun, with the shiny side up, and the engine making power.
    Last edited by RobHill; 05-14-2014 at 07:06 PM.

3 phase, trig radio works good pretty basic, I am getting real low CHT readings which can't be correct, the fuel computer needs some adjusting as I am burning lots more fuel than indicated, the max oil temp I can indicate is 140 so don't think the vernatherm valve is doing its job? The Tach seems to work well and it is a nice instrument with lots of functions, needs some tweeking, I may call this Tyler Speed and get his thoughts on it all. Anyone else getting similar readings with the world VFR panel?

Royce: The LOP/ROP indicator on this instrument doesn't seem to be intuitive. I feel like it is working however currently at reduced temperatures ( I know they are working hard to get this figured out). If the instrument is set for ROP, I think it reads the first cylinder to peak then indicates the degrees of depression as ROP (for instance: ROP -75). I think (the instructions are poorly written in my opinion. they indicate the functions but give no tutorials or instructions on HOW to operate the various screens), you must start rich of peak, lean slowly through peak, then go back to making the mix rich. If you continue to lean, the instrument is still going to indicate it as ROP delta. I believe it is only measuring the peak, then indicating degrees above or below peak as LOP or ROP depending on how you have the instrument set. Like I said, it seems a little less intuitive....and I can be completely wrong about this. Obviously, you can (and I did) check yourself. Just add a little fuel, if the CHT on the peaked cylinder goes up, you are LOP. If it goes down further, you are ROP. The instrument is smaller, lighter, and provides a huge amount of information...like you, I am learning to like it and appreciate its potential....just a little longer learning curve for me. Ralph
    Ralph Rogers
    Owner: TheCubWorks
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    CCSS #142 N123MR
    I have always felt the supercub is one thing mankind got right the first time but that there were better materials and methods to build them. CubCrafters products are proof I was right.

Ralph, how are your CHT reading? Oil temp? Fuel computer flow? Do you like your fuel pod?

Remember that the EI product is a TSO'd/STC'd product that can replace primary instruments in certified aircraft. The temperature probes will be more accurate than non-TSO'd products.

Here is an overview video of the EI CGR-30P that comes in our WVFR panels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Well the probes may be more accurate...and certified.... But what is being sent to screen and seen with my eye are not realistic numbers. I know nothing about the technical reasons for this just that it is sending info to the instrument that is not correct or does not appear to be correct.

Royce, what CHTs are you seeing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Pete
    ✈️CCK-1865-0078 N9PW
    Severna Park, MD W18

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    First question: if you're running at low horsepower (really anything below 75%, but especially below 65%) then no, you can't possibly run too lean and hurt anything. I do it all the time... pull the power way down, lean the bajezzus out of it, and watch with great joy as the fuel flow shows 4.5 gph or some such frugal figure. Of course this is keeping your engine cooler and cleaner inside as well. Be sure and richen it up though when it's time to climb.

Second question: We will not approve the CC340 for auto fuel because virtually all auto fuel now has ethanol it which creates all sorts of problems, plus fuel quality can vary from country to country and you never know for sure what you're getting. That said the engine should run just fine in a pinch on PREMIUM auto fuel without detonation.

Lastly, good job Rick on the fuel management judgment call -- better safe than in a mountain canyon dead somewhere because you "thought you could make it". With time you'll judgment will improve in forecasting range.
    I agree completely with Randy’s comments. The only thing I would add to all of this is.
    Any time the engine is running rough when leaning, it’s usually an indication of a cylinder not performing at the same level as the rest. Most of the time, this is caused by differences in air distribution inside the engine, whether its fuel injected or carbureted.
    It can be compared to a team of four horses pulling a wagon; if one of them is not working very hard it increases the stress and load on the rest and shortens their endurance. What I’m trying to say is no matter what the power level is or the amount you lean, you should always use the combination that allows the team to work together and share the load as equal as possible. Smooth engine operation is better than rough engine operation

Titan Engine Xpert
    Email Titan Support
    Bobby Looper
    Titan Support Lead