Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Battery

Default Re: Best Battery

http://www.cubcraftersforums.com/sho...=8910#post8910

I made a comment on batteries here.
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011

Default Re: Best Battery

I've given up on the lithium iron batteries for now. After poor cranking with my Aerolithium once it got cold again I decided to get the battery upgrade kit from Cub Crafters and install the Odyssey PC680 battery. I had the PMA version in my PA18 and knew it was a strong performer for years.

I looked up the hours I got out of the batteries I've tried and it is interesting when it is all laid out. The original Power Sport lasted 70.5 hours. Next was the Xtreme X2-14 and it went about the same at 69.2 hours. Up next was the first lithium iron battery, the Adventure Power APP14A1. It pooped out in 28.4 hours. Still liking the featherweight of these lithium batteries I bought an Aerolithium 500 A model. It was the best of any of them going for 105.1 hours.

I think anyone would have to admit though that all of these batteries demonstrated very poor life.

Here are a few images of the upgrade kit and PC680. Also shown is an aluminum base plate I made for the ELT. I thought a little extra support for a crash-worthy item like this was important. And with the front lip covering the die grinder cut it looks a little cleaner too.

The manufacturer lists the weight for this battery at 15.4 pounds. I weighed this battery at an actual 14.2 pounds on an accurate digital scale.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg
    Last edited by Dan L; 12-14-2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Added weight comment
    Flying Carbon Cub EX #11 since 2011