Thread: Replacement Compass.

Default Replacement Compass.

Greetings, I have 1994 PA18-150 that has a Precision Aviation Vertical Card Magnetic Compass. On my journey from KYKM to KSTJ the card read 060 all the way. An educated guess would suggest that the compass is no longer serviceable. Even with the instrument removed from the aircraft and moved through all points of the compass the card does not move. The compass mount is located to one side of the glare shield. I don't much like the compass and certainly dislike its placement.

I am considering installing a SIRS Navigation Overhead compass. I have also seen the placement on the upper portion of the windshield. I like both ideas.

Any comments or suggestions? There is no room in the instrument panel for a panel mounted compass.

Happy landings.

Peter.

Default Re: Replacement Compass.

Vertical card compasses can easily have the gimbal knocked off the pivot. I don't know how to fix it but I know it is possible, you might do some searching on that and/or call the manufacturer.
    Randy Lervold

Default Re: Replacement Compass.

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Vertical card compasses can easily have the gimbal knocked off the pivot. I don't know how to fix it but I know it is possible, you might do some searching on that and/or call the manufacturer.
    Randy, thanks. I plan to call the manufacturer first thing Monday and see what is involved. If it becomes all to awkward I would like to install a SIRS magnetic compass high on the wind shield, away from as mush ferrous material as possible.

Again, thanks.