Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Radio noise

Rowe, NM; St. George Island, FL; Montgomery, AL

Default Radio noise

Hey all: Ok, loving #226. CCSS. Wonderful airplane and great fun. One niggling problem...

I've got the Exec panel with the SL 40 and the PM 3000 intercom. Also have Bose A-20 headsets. So...when we talk on the intercom...clear as a bell. When we use the bluetooth on the Bose (cell phone)...clear as a bell. When we transmit on the radio...loud airplane noise. I can make my transmissions more clear by pulling the throttle back (which isn't all that big of a deal) but I wonder how I can make it quieter. Pretty sure it isn't electronic noise...much more like the noise you'd expect from a noisy cockpit. Which it is a noisy cockpit...but why isn't that noise transmitted on the intercom or bluetooth cell phone?

Suggestions?

Jim

Default Re: Radio noise

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Harper View Post
    Hey all: Ok, loving #226. CCSS. Wonderful airplane and great fun. One niggling problem...

I've got the Exec panel with the SL 40 and the PM 3000 intercom. Also have Bose A-20 headsets. So...when we talk on the intercom...clear as a bell. When we use the bluetooth on the Bose (cell phone)...clear as a bell. When we transmit on the radio...loud airplane noise. I can make my transmissions more clear by pulling the throttle back (which isn't all that big of a deal) but I wonder how I can make it quieter. Pretty sure it isn't electronic noise...much more like the noise you'd expect from a noisy cockpit. Which it is a noisy cockpit...but why isn't that noise transmitted on the intercom or bluetooth cell phone?

Suggestions?

Jim
    Hi Jim, You may recieve several suggestions on this one especially regarding headsets but seem the debate is between Zulus and Bose. I found that I could not tame that noise you describe with the Bose and switched back and forth between Bose and Light Speed Zulus and eventually found a great combination using the Zulus with the after market leather and foam mike covers offered through Aircraft Spruce. The Zulus also have a gain setting on the mike which you can adjust which you can play with unitil you match your voice level to trigger the mike while Bose does not. I also covered the front hole on the leather cover and works very well in all modes just make sure for best results you and your PAX keep the mike touching your lip. Just one guys opinon. Best Gary

Suggestions?
    Jim, I wonder if the sidetone somehow got turned up way to high on the SL40?

Basically all airplanes are noisey, and all aircraft microphones are designed to deal with this (they are very short range so your voice is picked up more than the airplane noise). I'm assuming you sound okay to ATC, and the problem is just what you hear in the headset.

See pages 9 and 12 of the SL40 pilot's guide for instructions on setting the sidetone level.

Chuck
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Quote Originally Posted by glickle View Post
    Hi Jim, You may recieve several suggestions on this one especially regarding headsets but seem the debate is between Zulus and Bose. I found that I could not tame that noise you describe with the Bose and switched back and forth between Bose and Light Speed Zulus and eventually found a great combination using the Zulus with the after market leather and foam mike covers offered through Aircraft Spruce. The Zulus also have a gain setting on the mike which you can adjust which you can play with unitil you match your voice level to trigger the mike while Bose does not. I also covered the front hole on the leather cover and works very well in all modes just make sure for best results you and your PAX keep the mike touching your lip. Just one guys opinon. Best Gary
    Thanks for the advice, Gary. I've got the leather/foam covers from Aircraft Spruce (Oregon Aero) on the way'n will be trying them this week. I love my Boses, but if I need to try the Lightspeed, I'll do that too. Interestingly enough, when I was working with the radio guy who came out to work on another problem, we hooked up his (really ancient) David Clarks (with no sort of a mike muff) and it was clearer...not...by any means...perfect, but more clear.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Harper; 09-05-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Jim, I wonder if the sidetone somehow got turned up way to high on the SL40?

Basically all airplanes are noisey, and all aircraft microphones are designed to deal with this (they are very short range so your voice is picked up more than the airplane noise). I'm assuming you sound okay to ATC, and the problem is just what you hear in the headset.

See pages 9 and 12 of the SL40 pilot's guide for instructions on setting the sidetone level.

Chuck
    Thanks, Chuck. I have been playing with the sidetone adjustment. Unfortunately, I DON'T sound OK to ATC...unless I pull the throttle way back.

Like I said in the original post...the oddest thing about this is that the microphone, per se, isn't a problem in two other modes...intercom (clear as a bell) and using the headset/bluetooth to talk on my cell phone...both cases use (obviously) the headset microphone and work well. Process it through the radio, and THEN there is a problem. It is a puzzlement to me. I am gonna turn the sidetone way down and see if that helps...perhaps there is some sort of feedback deal going on.

Thanks again.

Jim

If you set the sidetone level to "000" it is supposed to then track the volume of the radio. This isn't always the best ballance for every situation but it is how it is supposed to leave the factory.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

Thanks, Chuck. I have been playing with the sidetone adjustment. Unfortunately, I DON'T sound OK to ATC...unless I pull the throttle way back.

Like I said in the original post...the oddest thing about this is that the microphone, per se, isn't a problem in two other modes...intercom (clear as a bell) and using the headset/bluetooth to talk on my cell phone...both cases use (obviously) the headset microphone and work well. Process it through the radio, and THEN there is a problem. It is a puzzlement to me. I am gonna turn the sidetone way down and see if that helps...perhaps there is some sort of feedback deal going on.
    Jim, sounds like the mic gain is set too high. Don't know that that is setable with the SL40 interface - you may need an avionics shop to help with that. Chuck
    Chuck Hull
    L70 Agua Dulce, CA

Jim:
    When are you going to bring the new CCub up to AL17 Wilsonville AL so I can see it. We are going over to Triple Tree Fly-In this weekend if you are in MGM.
    EV

I have a similar problem (Bose headset) but only on the control tower frequency. Loud volume feed-back noise on tower freq during transmit/receive/listen at full power, but normal volume with clarity excellent as soon as I switch to departure control frequencies climbing at full power. Is there an volume/squelch/sidetone adjustment or setting for individual frequencies that causes this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by reileyr View Post
    I have a similar problem (Bose headset) but only on the control tower frequency. Loud volume feed-back noise on tower freq during transmit/receive/listen at full power, but normal volume with clarity excellent as soon as I switch to departure control frequencies climbing at full power. Is there an volume/squelch/sidetone adjustment or setting for individual frequencies that causes this problem?
    I have no clue. My problem is across the spectrum. I have improved it somewhat...I decreased the sidetone adjustment (which is universal, to my knowledge) to 0...that helped a fair amount. I also bought the Oregon Aero mike muff, which also helps. It seems that folks are hearing me now better.

Still not totally satisfied, but it IS better.

Jim