Thread: 0-200 Issues - can they be addressed

Question 0-200 Issues - can they be addressed

I've been looking to buy a Sport Cub for the last few months. It seems there are two types of planes available - those who have had the cylinders replaced and those that will need to soon.

For example a 400 hr plane had 4 new cylinders under warranty and then the next year needed a new cylinder. Of course if I look at a 200hr plane I wonder if it's only matter of time judging by the postings on those forum.

I've decided to just accept there are a lot of cylinder issues and factor that into the purchase. But is there a good permanent fix so it does not come an annual event to re-work the engine ?

Robert

Default Re: 0-200 Issues - can they be addressed

Hey Robert, I am from the state of WA but based in Mesa at FFZ for the last couple of years. I have owned my sport cub #6 since new in 2007 with 1350 tach hours with no cylinder issues. I see you live in Phoenix somewhere you are welcome to swing by the hanger and check out my sport cub...my website is www.cubdriving.com .....Geo
    Geo
    Piper Cub J3
    www.cubdriving.com

Statistically speaking only a small minority of our O-200 fleet have had issues, though certainly enough to consider. It is a known issue but I'd hate to see someone conclude that "they all do that". Also, if one bothers to have the valve guides replaced and reamed on installation then the problem is solved. Agreed that shouldn't need to be done but that is an issue for Continental.

Informationally,
    Randy Lervold

Robert
    I would plan on it. Thats what I did. I know of 4 S2 in South Fl that had Cly problems.Mine being one of them 368hrs
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by randylervold View Post
    Statistically speaking only a small minority of our O-200 fleet have had issues, though certainly enough to consider. It is a known issue but I'd hate to see someone conclude that "they all do that". Also, if one bothers to have the valve guides replaced and reamed on installation then the problem is solved. Agreed that shouldn't need to be done but that is an issue for Continental.

Informationally,
    I don't mind spending the time (and money) to have the valve guides re-worked. What I'm really trying to understand if I will see recurring issues. I've heard of some owners replacing the cylinders and then needing to replace them again a couple of years later because of low compressions. I also know that compressions are not everything - take the plane for a flight and they will change.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by fr0gpil0t View Post
    I don't mind spending the time (and money) to have the valve guides re-worked. What I'm really trying to understand if I will see recurring issues. I've heard of some owners replacing the cylinders and then needing to replace them again a couple of years later because of low compressions. I also know that compressions are not everything - take the plane for a flight and they will change.

Robert
    The recurring issues are only because the new Continental cylinders were manufactured the same way the old ones were. Owners who had the cylinders fixed by a shop who installed the valve seats properly have had no further issues. I'd be happy to explain further if you'd care to give me a call.
    Randy Lervold

Quote Originally Posted by couleeone View Post
    Hey Robert, I am from the state of WA but based in Mesa at FFZ for the last couple of years. I have owned my sport cub #6 since new in 2007 with 1350 tach hours with no cylinder issues. I see you live in Phoenix somewhere you are welcome to swing by the hanger and check out my sport cub...my website is www.cubdriving.com .....Geo
    Wouldn't mind doing that just for fun!
    Michael D
    N606RJ