Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Oregon Aero seats

Default New Oregon Aero seats

Anyone have any info about the new seats. Wondered if the new rear seat will be more seat and less
    sling and if it will fit on all Carbon Cubs?
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Default Re: New Oregon Aero seats

Alan -

I have a test version of the Oregon Aero seats in my Cub (#253). So far they have been great - highly recommended. My understanding is that they are working with Cubcrafters to come up with the final version, and it may be ready for prime time within several weeks. Everyone who has tried my seats says they are far superior to the current standard seats.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Sanford View Post
    Alan -

I have a test version of the Oregon Aero seats in my Cub (#253). So far they have been great - highly recommended. My understanding is that they are working with Cubcrafters to come up with the final version, and it may be ready for prime time within several weeks. Everyone who has tried my seats says they are far superior to the current standard seats.

Jack
    Hi Jack
    Can you post a photo of the new seats ?
    And do you know if the seats will fit all Carbon Cubs?
    Thanks
    Alan
    Alan Maurer
    Carbon Cub #183
    Sarasota, FL

Alan -

I'll try to post a photo when I get back to Scottsdale (where the plane is now located) next week. My plane is a Carbon Cub.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by armaurer View Post
    Anyone have any info about the new seats. Wondered if the new rear seat will be more seat and less
    sling and if it will fit on all Carbon Cubs?
    The Oregon Aero seats will be retrofit table to any of the CC11-100 Sport Cub, CC11-160 Carbon Cub or CCK-1865 airplanes already in the field. The front seat will use the same composite part and replaces all of the padding and upholstery. The back seat cushion uses the same sling and replaces the bottom cushion and has a small removable lumbar support piece.

I believe the prototypes can be seen at Sun and Fun this weekend-which airplane they are in I'm not sure.
    Pete Dougherty
    Customer Support Manager
    Cub Crafters Inc

The Oregon Aero option for the CC11 (Carbon Cub, Sport Cub) family has taken way longer than expected but it is finally done. The design is now frozen, we have orders in to Oregon Aero, and press releases are going out this week.

I was quite involved in the design and testing myself because I wanted to make sure that we ended up with a real and compelling solution. I've owned OA seats before, put them in both the RVs I built, and can speak personally to how good they are. I'm pleased to report that both the front seat and rear CC11 seat options do provide a significant improvement, though of course everyone's physiology is different. Personally, I think the cost would be worth it for me if I were buying a plane (or retrofitting).

We will soon have them available as an option on new aircraft as well as available for retrofit. for the front seat we purchase the upholstery/cushion from OA and then we install it on our seat base. The rear seat is of course a drop-in. Pricing...

OPTION:
    Front fabric $750
    Front leather $1,200
    Rear fabric $750
    Rear leather $1,050

RETROFIT:
    Front fabric $1,400
    Front leather $1,900

The pilot's seat will need to be returned to CubCrafters for retrofit, and an MRA for SLSA documentation will be included.

Perhaps most importantly, the front fabric seat adds 1.4 lbs, 1.8 in leather. We don't have the rear seat weights yet.

Jeff Glab, our Customer Support Manager, will be handling the retrofit program for owners interested in that.
    Randy Lervold

Alan, we have the prototype pilot seat installed in the display aircraft here at Sun N Fun. Buzz over if you want to sit in it for a bit.
    Randy Lervold

Can someone please post a picture of the seats.

Are you able to use your stock fabric with the OA cushioning? Or are they requiring that you use their upholstery too? The OA cushioning is a definite improvement...my brother and I flew the two Carbon Cub's at the show home to Alabama and Georgia. Nate sat on the OA seat for the four hour trip and reported positive improvement. I sat on it at a fuel stop and felt the same. But the OA seat fabric material is decidedly "rougher" in appearance than the CubCrafter OEM fabric used in their stock seats. So long story short, and this is my opinion...OA upgrade feels better, CubCrafters original stock seat looks better.

The OA seats will be available only in their fabric, called "Mordura", and leather, both black. Our standard seats are ballistic nylon which won't pass the burn cert tests required in a Part 23 plane. OA materials all have burn certs. Personally, I like the Mordura, quite comfy.
    Randy Lervold